• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique's Leg Bothering Her

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
So our caique M&M has been plucking her right leg the past few days. We thought maybe it was the dry air and bought a humidifier last night. But today she has been screaming intermittently throughout the day and biting her leg. I finally got a good look at it and it's plucked up through the thigh. I touched it and she screamed and bit down hard on my hand, which is very unlike her. We've been calling around local vets and haven't had much luck, most say to try again tomorrow morning. Any ideas for what we can do for her in the meantime? BTW she is still using the leg for climbing, walking and even playing. She can grip just fine with it. And the leg band is on the other leg.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
The vet situation is so frustrating! I’m’ sorry your bird is in such pain. Hopefully you can get an answer tomorrow.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Would she tolerate any sort of warm compress to ease the pain until she can be seen or is it so tender that she wouldn't allow that?

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
X-rays were all clear, and she is in her usual good spirits. The vet thinks she may have bruised it somehow. My wife's theory is that she got it caught in a wiffle ball toy. In any case, the vet sent me home with some pain meds (metacam) and told me to bring her back in next week if it's still bothering her.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Oh good I am glad you were able to get her in and get some pain meds. Hopefully those will help so she doesn't pluck the area anymore and it can have time to heal.