• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique

Rosie-bird

Meeting neighbors
Hello, I do not know much about caiques and am looking to breed them, the websites that I have found do not say much about them. Anyone with experience with these birds, please comment!!

Thanks for reading:bhc::wbc::bhc:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
You currently have birds that may have serious illnesses, I would advise waiting until that issue is well resolved to pursue raising caiques. There are a couple of people on AA that raise and have raised them so you may pose your question in the breeders section of this forum. They can be quite pricey birds and raising them involves a lot of time, equipment and knowledge of hand feeding babies from day one if the parents don't take care of them. Time consuming and daunting for the inexperienced... for sure.

Rosie-bird

Meeting neighbors
Ok, thank you! I was just learning for the future. Most definately the websites DID NOT say that! But I am still interested, will look into them further. As to the sick birds, I will take care of them somehow, would never buy more birds in a sick house :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Ok, thank you! I was just learning for the future. Most definately the websites DID NOT say that! But I am still interested, will look into them further. As to the sick birds, I will take care of them somehow, would never buy more birds in a sick house :)
It's very important for you to have a qualified avian vet test for any potential disease with your current birds. Without this you may even in the future transfer a possible disease to any future bird. I'm not terribly knowledgeable about all diseases but do know there are a couple that you need to be very concerned about. I'll tag a couple of people, they may in turn tag others.

@Monica
@Hankmacaw
@enigma731

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
This thread - The Good, the bad, and the ugly about Caiques" is a good read for anyone interested in this species of bird. They are not only a challenging species to have .... you'll also need a supply of bandaids for yourself.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Nope. I'm in rescue, not going to support breeding. Sorry.
Was tagging you about diseases that can be shed within the home that will likely transfer to non affected birds brought in, thus making it so no other bird could be brought in unless it also had the same condition. I just couldn't think of them at the time. Not about breeding.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's fair. Really any infectious disease is a risk to new birds, though. So I have to echo everyone else in saying the current birds need to see a vet before even considering more.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Why do you want to breed?

Caiques are kind of like huskies.... everyone loves them, loves their personalities, their characteristics, etc.... however, far too many people don't understand the time, energy and enrichment that these guys need... if not worked with and well trained, they can become aggressive, bite, escape, etc. In short, not for the faint of heart.

This can also be said of cockatoos.... which can have it worse! Loving them too much could potentially be just as bad, if not worse, than not loving them enough.

Rosie-bird

Meeting neighbors
Yes, I have read all this. I am serious about breeding, if I do it at all.