• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique vs IRN

mfrahm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariah
Hello all,

I haven't had birds since I was a kid but I am now looking to get one of my own. I had "soft" selected an IRN as my bird of choice but I visited the pet store the other day and they had some Caiques that were just weaning and my gosh were they so funny! I was just wondering if any of you have had both or could give me the pros and cons between the two? IRNs are harder to come by here and they don't have them in the store very often (and they charge a boat load), I am unsure what they are asking for the caiques though. I also don't have a bird rescue near me, unfortunately or I would be all over that!

Thanks!
Mariah

LanaNana

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lana
I've seen both when I worked in a bird store. These are species generalizations; every bird has their own personality. That being said...

Caiques are like toddlers cracked out on too much sugar and I love them. They are constantly on the go, love to wrestle and hop. I don't know of any other birds that full body wrestle, and they will do that with you and other caiques. They are also very beaky/nippy, like a puppy, and it takes constant work to encourage them to be gentle on your skin.

I've never seen one that was a chill shoulder bird -- they are always doing something. They need a lot of space and activities to be happy -- mine has a cage that is 37" wide, 24" deep and 50" tall and he uses *all* of it.

The adult caiques I've met can have stubborn moments where they *know what they want* and they strongly object (by screaming and biting) and don't take well to dominance/force (such as grabbing away the item you don't want them to destroy or pushing into their belly to make them step-up). Training, bribery, and management of the environment is much better than a battle of wills.

The IRN I've seen were more dignified than caiques. Their wings and tails were less ragged from rugged play. They struck me as fairly independent birds compared to needy species like cockatoos.They liked/allowed some touching, but did not roll on their backs for tummy rubs. I think they might be a reasonable shoulder bird.

LanaNana

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lana
This might help:

Good, bad, & Ugly of Indian Ringnecks:

Good, bad, & Ugly of Caique: