• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique parrot diet

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne
Hello everyone, so I have two young baby parrots that are 3 and 4months old one is a male black head and the other is a yet to be determined white bellied caique, I was told originally that my WB caique was a male but their was no proof of that meaning no dna text was done so it's a 50/50 percent chance that my WB could be male or female, I got got them both at a very young age while they were still getting hand feeding baby parrot formula intune and exact, They both weaned at around 10 weeks and started trying different things like seed mix and fruits , Their favorite things to eat are apples, blueberries and seed mix, I tried feeding then zupreem fruit blend pellets but they do not like it , I tried carrots they nipple on some of it and waste most of it I have served the carrots to them cooked and raw doesnt make a difference, so my question is I know making apples , blueberries and seed mix their main diet wont be healthy for them in the long run , so to all the caique owners out their please give me some ideas on other healthier foods I can try to feed the caiques that they might like..

Also depending on the gender of what my WB caique turns out to be I will like to add one or two more caiques of the opposite sex to the two I have so that when they reach the appropriate age to breed that can be a possibility , my question is if I were to add two more caiques when my two that I have now are a year old or a year and a half etc would they still have a good chance of accepting new caique members to the family flock? I know it's best to get them while they are baby young but considering how expensive caiques are the two I have now are probably all I am gonna have for awhile until I can save up and get the other one or two caiques I will eventually get at some point rather it be before the year ends or at some point next year , and btw they were both born in the month of February 2021..

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne
Hello everyone, so I have two young baby parrots that are 3 and 4months old one is a male black head and the other is a yet to be determined white bellied caique, I was told originally that my WB caique was a male but their was no proof of that meaning no dna text was done so it's a 50/50 percent chance that my WB could be male or female, I got got them both at a very young age while they were still getting hand feeding baby parrot formula intune and exact, They both weaned at around 10 weeks and started trying different things like seed mix and fruits , Their favorite things to eat are apples, blueberries and seed mix, I tried feeding then zupreem fruit blend pellets but they do not like it , I tried carrots they nipple on some of it and waste most of it I have served the carrots to them cooked and raw doesnt make a difference, so my question is I know making apples , blueberries and seed mix their main diet wont be healthy for them in the long run , so to all the caique owners out their please give me some ideas on other healthier foods I can try to feed the caiques that they might like..

Also depending on the gender of what my WB caique turns out to be I will like to add one or two more caiques of the opposite sex to the two I have so that when they reach the appropriate age to breed that can be a possibility , my question is if I were to add two more caiques when my two that I have now are a year old or a year and a half etc would they still have a good chance of accepting new caique members to the family flock? I know it's best to get them while they are baby young but considering how expensive caiques are the two I have now are probably all I am gonna have for awhile until I can save up and get the other one or two caiques I will eventually get at some point rather it be before the year ends or at some point next year , and btw they were both born in the month of February 2021..

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I like this article for help putting foods together;
There´s also some tips if you scroll further down that should help you.

@Laurie knows her stuff with caiques, and @saroj12 makes the best buffets for her birds I´m sure she´ll have some ideas for you based on what her birds like :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Their cooked food tonight

878E1ED8-5FEE-4CEA-AB6D-6A283279F4DB.jpeg

steam in bag microwave fresh carrots and steam in bag frozen mixed veggies. Morning they get apple blueberry steamed foods and some days banana. Eggs once a week. They are both chunky so no nuts for them. And they like micrograin sprouts from China prairie
they like Harrison’s fine and top pellets.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Some stuff here: Converting Parrots to a Healthier Diet - Tips

If you give them unlimited access to treats they have no incentive to eat healthy foods. Just like if you give kids a choice between unlimited candy or veggies, there is no incentive for them to eat the veggies when the candy tastes so good!

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne
Their cooked food tonight

View attachment 383543

steam in bag microwave fresh carrots and steam in bag frozen mixed veggies. Morning they get apple blueberry steamed foods and some days banana. Eggs once a week. They are both chunky so no nuts for them. And they like micrograin sprouts from China prairie
they like Harrison’s fine and top pellets.

Thank you, you just gave me a great idea idk why I never thought about it before but I could buy a veggie mix form the grocery store and in frozen foods section and steam it in the steamer or microwave, Thank you..

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thank you, you just gave me a great idea idk why I never thought about it before but I could buy a veggie mix form the grocery store and in frozen foods section and steam it in the steamer or microwave, Thank you..
You’re welcome! Glad I can help!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Last year I did a food thread every month

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Interesting! So basically just mix things up and change the meal order everyday but feed more veggies then fruits..
Yes but try different types of pellets and feed them before the fresh or you would have to add vitamins a few times a week. Do you have vet? Great to discuss them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I mean vet is best for sure! I prefer a diet for most parrots at least 50% pellets, then lots of veggies, then fruits, seeds, and nuts in treat quantities (10% or less of the diet)

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Having some frozen veg in the freezer is great for when you're short of time. Carrots go a bit mushy and not all birds like the texture, but peas and edamame beans are great to have on hand. Make sure that they do not contain added salt, oils or seasoning. The fancier ones sometimes come with garlic or seasoned butter and you don't want to give your birds that.

They can be cooked in the microwave for 30-45 seconds.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The reason (and it is a good one) that you don't want to feed to much in fruits, is that all fruits are high in sugar. Sugar contributes to diabetes, fatty liver and heart/circulatory problems, including atherosclerosis. Sugar - any kind - once it is digested metabolizes directly to fat and fat is the main culprit in the diseases mentioned above. The leaner you can keep your birds' diet the longer they will stay fit and healthy. A fat bird is at risk for many illnesses.

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne
Yes but try different types of pellets and feed them before the fresh or you would have to add vitamins a few times a week. Do you have vet? Great to discuss them.

No I do not have a vet yet, But when I get my white bellied caique dna tested I suppose that person will be my vet for my two caiques

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne
I mean vet is best for sure! I prefer a diet for most parrots at least 50% pellets, then lots of veggies, then fruits, seeds, and nuts in treat quantities (10% or less of the diet)

What kind of pellets do you recommend? My caiques dont really like zupreem fruit blend

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You can check out a bunch of options here:

My focuses are:

1. The bird eats it. If they won't eat it, it doesn't matter if it is harvested from the Amazon itself.

2. The bird does well on it. Not all pellets are a good fit for every bird.

3. It fits your budget. If you are having to eat Ramen 5 nights a week to feed your bird, it is okay to feed them another pellet they like and do well on!

Now, I do have preferences. Ideally, I like a pellet to be:

1. Free of Sugar. They don't need it!

2. Free of Dyes. No reason to have them if you can avoid them!

3. Vitamin Fortified.

If I could have my bird eat any pellet, it would be Harrison's. Barring that, I like Roudybush, Lafeber, and Hagen. All have decades of research and were formulated by vets.