• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caging A Conure and Other Parrot

as31

Sitting on the front steps
As you know from my previous threads, I have been looking for a parrot for my cherry head conure. Recently I have been put into the position that may allow me to get a second cage. Would I be able to get any species I want if I keep them in separate cages? (I would not get anything much bigger than an African Grey).

Attachments

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a beauty! I'd say that's a possibility assuming that the cage is appropriate for the species you do end up getting. I personally wouldn't recommend getting a Caique even if kept caged separately because they are very well known for being other bird aggressive always. A member just had her Quakers leg broken by her Caique.

I'd also recommend against a dusty species like African Grey,smaller Cockatoo or a Cockatiel since there's a significant risk of respiratory problems from the dust which Conures and Macaws are more susceptible to. @Mizzely

as31

What a beauty! I'd say that's a possibility assuming that the cage is appropriate for the species you do end up getting. I personally wouldn't recommend getting a Caique even if kept caged separately because they are very well known for being other bird aggressive always. A member just had her Quakers leg broken by her Caique.

I'd also recommend against a dusty species like African Grey,smaller Cockatoo or a Cockatiel since there's a significant risk of respiratory problems from the dust which Conures and Macaws are more susceptible to. @Mizzely
Honestly, I never found caiques as a cute species so I would never have considered it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes, Dusty birds like cockatiels, cockatoos, and African greys can potentially cause health issues in macaws and conures (and possibly other species too). So that is something to consider.

Also consider size differences if your birds will be in the same room. Birds can kill each other through cage bars, so knowing how you will handle potential issues is important.

as31

My favorite species that I have researched are:

Sun conures
Mini Macaws
Golden Conures
Crimson Bellied Conures
Eclectus Parrots
Amazon Parrots

Any species you don't think would be a good idea?

as31

Yes, Dusty birds like cockatiels, cockatoos, and African greys can potentially cause health issues in macaws and conures (and possibly other species too). So that is something to consider.

Also consider size differences if your birds will be in the same room. Birds can kill each other through cage bars, so knowing how you will handle potential issues is important.
I have researched about old world parrots. And I might have the cages in the same room but not near each other so I do not think that would be a problem.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Personally I'd say the Amazon and Ekkie. Just because of the risk of having a larger stronger species in the mix. Even if caged separate accidents can still happen but having more similar sized species cuts down on that risk though doesn't fully eliminate it of course. But I personally wouldn't ever keep such drastically different species period but that's my feelings so many people on this forum have mixed sized flocks and nothing has ever happened and it's managed well so it all depends on each individual and what they are comfortable with in that regard.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have researched about old world parrots. And I might have the cages in the same room but not near each other so I do not think that would be a problem.
If one flies over to the other cage, it can be. Are they going to be out at the same time, or are you going to alternate?

as31

I would probably see over a long period of time how they get along and go from there to see if it could work out.
If one flies over to the other cage, it can be. Are they going to be out at the same time, or are you going to alternate?