• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage selection: Horizontal bars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimberly1985

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kimberly
I've been looking for a larger cage for my lovies. I have heard that lovebirds need wider cages rather than taller. Does anyone else agree with this? I really had my heart set on the HQ flight cage or the Prevue flight cage but I realized that none of the bars are horizontal. It's about equally as tall as it is wide. The cage that Yoshi is in has horizontal bars on two sides but I find that he struggles a good bit on the vertical sides. So I was searching google and found that ferret cages seem to have all horizontal bars....does anyone think that this ferret cage can be converted into a bird cage? Amazon.com: Super Pet My First Home Deluxe Multi-Level Pet Home with Stand: Kitchen & Dining
This cage is taller than it is wide but I'm thinking that it might work.

Also does anyone know of any cages that are best suited for a pair of lovebirds? Preferably with all horizontal bars. I'm assuming that Zazu and Yoshi will get along when they finally meet after quarantine. I'm willing to spend around 100 bucks, maybe a little more.

BirdsFTW

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maya
Yes, wider than taller is best but I think that goes for any bird, especially since they all like to hang out at the top the most - might as well give them more "top" space to roam around. The HQ/A&E flight cages are PERFECT for a single or pair of lovebirds - and you can get them for about $150 I think. Those flight cages, to me, are the best in terms of economical and roomy.

Both my bf and I are personally not fans of horziontally-barred cages, only for the fact perches aren't as sturdy on horizontal bars. Sure lovebirds are lightweight, but when they bounce from one perch to another, it wobbles the cage bars and that can't be good for the bars/welding after so long. Sure, babies may have a hard time with vertical bars at first but I've NEVER had a bird that had a hard time climbing vertical bars. Mika does just fine in his A&E flight cage.

I wouldn't assume Zazu and Yoshi will get along. It is ALWAYS a 50/50 chance and, with lovebirds, I have seen a LOT not like each other. Whenever you bring another bird into the household, you definitely have to go into it with the thought that they may NEVER get along and you have to have two of everything.

EDIT: Another thing to think about with the cage bar alignment... I design my birds cages so that they can ALWAYS get where they need to go without having to rely on cage bars. One perch will always lead to another one. Of course, Mika doesn't do that and takes the "shortcut" from his Happy Hut to the food bowl by just climbing down the cage bars, but he'll take the perch "trail" from his food back up to his Hut.

Last edited:

Chevelle

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessica
Most ferret cages (including that one) have 1" bar spacing, much too big for lovies :(.

Kimberly1985

Real Name
Kimberly
Yes, wider than taller is best but I think that goes for any bird, especially since they all like to hang out at the top the most - might as well give them more "top" space to roam around. The HQ/A&E flight cages are PERFECT for a single or pair of lovebirds - and you can get them for about $150 I think. Those flight cages, to me, are the best in terms of economical and roomy.

Both my bf and I are personally not fans of horziontally-barred cages, only for the fact perches aren't as sturdy on horizontal bars. Sure lovebirds are lightweight, but when they bounce from one perch to another, it wobbles the cage bars and that can't be good for the bars/welding after so long. Sure, babies may have a hard time with vertical bars at first but I've NEVER had a bird that had a hard time climbing vertical bars. Mika does just fine in his A&E flight cage.

I wouldn't assume Zazu and Yoshi will get along. It is ALWAYS a 50/50 chance and, with lovebirds, I have seen a LOT not like each other. Whenever you bring another bird into the household, you definitely have to go into it with the thought that they may NEVER get along and you have to have two of everything.

EDIT: Another thing to think about with the cage bar alignment... I design my birds cages so that they can ALWAYS get where they need to go without having to rely on cage bars. One perch will always lead to another one. Of course, Mika doesn't do that and takes the "shortcut" from his Happy Hut to the food bowl by just climbing down the cage bars, but he'll take the perch "trail" from his food back up to his Hut.
Maya, you belong to Lovebirds Plus too! I absolutely love looking at the pictures of Mika and Raptor especially Mika! Little cotton ball!

Yea, I am hoping the two will get along and that's why I ain't buying the flight cage just yet. I wish I could buy them both one but I just can't afford two flight cages. If they don't get along, I am fine with buying Zazu a bigger cage. Zazu is currently housed in an economy cage (minimum requirements) which I absolutely feel terrible about. Yoshi's is a pretty good size cage but I can't find one like it because I don't know it's brand name. If, however, these two get along, I believe the HQ or A&E flight cage would totally work.

I kind of like this cage and I would be able to afford two of these so they'd have matching ones if they don't. Is this big enough for one lovebird? PETCO Designer White Finch Flight Cage at PETCO

I really love the Hagen Vision also but I couldn't afford 2 of these. Amazon.com: Vision Bird Cage Model M02 - Medium: Kitchen & Dining

Kimberly1985

Real Name
Kimberly
Also, when I do introduce these two little guys in just a few weeks....what behavior should I be looking for that would exhibit they don't like each other? I know that I should allow them supervised play time together so that I can observe their behavior. How long should I do this if all appears to be going well? The breeder told me that I should expect some bickering for the first few times such as toe biting. He said that's how they let each other know whose gonna be the "boss". I've never had two birds at once so I'm not sure how much bickering or "fighting" if any is acceptable.

What behaviors should I immediately stop? I don't want anyone getting hurt.

BirdsFTW

Real Name
Maya
Yeah! :D As much as I :heart: Lovebirds Plus (since it's the ONLY place for all lovebird-related things), it's really slow so I occupy my time here as well. :)

The Petco one would be the minimum size I'd house one lovebird in. It's not a really big cage, but it's not small either. As long as there's a lot of out-of-cage time, that cage would be okay for a single lovebird. I personally don't like the Hagen cages - they are ugly and are much taller than wider.

When they're out for their "supervised" play time, you want to watch for outright aggression. You also want to watch for if one hogs the food bowl and won't let the other one eat. IMO, though there should always be double of food and water bowls in one cage if two birds are sharing, there shouldn't be any "not letting the other eat" going on.

If all seems to be going well, I would let them be in a cage together - supervised - for a little while, but not overnight. See how they act. There will always be bickering every once in a while, but it shouldn't happen often. I would take as long as you need before putting them in together for good - you should feel CERTAIN they're getting along. It's definitely not something to be rushed, especially with lovebirds.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
A lovebird does quite well in a A&E or HQ flight cage :)

Kimberly1985

Real Name
Kimberly
Yeah! :D As much as I :heart: Lovebirds Plus (since it's the ONLY place for all lovebird-related things), it's really slow so I occupy my time here as well. :)

The Petco one would be the minimum size I'd house one lovebird in. It's not a really big cage, but it's not small either. As long as there's a lot of out-of-cage time, that cage would be okay for a single lovebird. I personally don't like the Hagen cages - they are ugly and are much taller than wider.

When they're out for their "supervised" play time, you want to watch for outright aggression. You also want to watch for if one hogs the food bowl and won't let the other one eat. IMO, though there should always be double of food and water bowls in one cage if two birds are sharing, there shouldn't be any "not letting the other eat" going on.

If all seems to be going well, I would let them be in a cage together - supervised - for a little while, but not overnight. See how they act. There will always be bickering every once in a while, but it shouldn't happen often. I would take as long as you need before putting them in together for good - you should feel CERTAIN they're getting along. It's definitely not something to be rushed, especially with lovebirds.

Thanks again Maya! Yea, unless I have a health related question on Lovebirds plus, I don't get much replies on there. That's why I usually post the same thread in multiple forums. I wish the horizontal cage was a bit taller but I like the fact that it's so wide. Yea, the hagen does look a little bulky for a cage.

BirdsFTW

Real Name
Maya
Thanks again Maya! Yea, unless I have a health related question on Lovebirds plus, I don't get much replies on there. That's why I usually post the same thread in multiple forums. I wish the horizontal cage was a bit taller but I like the fact that it's so wide. Yea, the hagen does look a little bulky for a cage.

They do make that flight cage taller. They make them in 24x16x16, 30x18x18, and 30x18x36. They make one that is double in height (it's actually what I used to have prior to getting the wrought iron double stack), but in that case I'd rather just get the sturdier A&E/HQ flight cage, because the Petco flight cage is flimsy and the paint chips easily.

Kimberly1985

Real Name
Kimberly
Yea, I just found one of this size 30x18x36 and it was like 149.99 without a stand! I'd much rather get the HQ flight cage for 119.99 with stand!

Thanks Maya, you've been a big help.

BirdsFTW

Real Name
Maya
WOW!! Really?? The flimsy 30x18x36 finch flight cage is sold here for usually around $70 or so!!

I hope everything works out! Let us know what cage you end up going with!!

Kimberly1985

Real Name
Kimberly
I couldn't find it on petco's website but I found one of the same size for 149.99. I'm sure it was much better quality.

BirdsFTW

Real Name
Maya
Actually, the Petco one is the SAME quality as the Hoei and - I forgot the other brands - finch flight cages. They're all manufactured the same and the only difference is some have breeder doors and they have different "accents" on the feeder doors. I also noticed one brand out of the three or four I've seen has thicker paint, but still chips easy.

Kimberly1985

Real Name
Kimberly
So the finch flight cages are out! If they end up not getting along, I'm thinking of getting one that looks similar to Yoshi's. Hubby said there is no point in me buying two separate cages when Yoshi has a good size cage now. LOL Men! I just thought it would look better if they matched.

Now in a perfect world, Yoshi and Zazu would be the bestest friends and they'd live in an HQ flight cage! That would solve my problem right away.

Kimberly1985

Real Name
Kimberly
I don't know the name of it. It was a cage that I bought from a friend. Here's a pic from the side:
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb342/pigtoes1985/Baby Lovebird/SANY1244.jpg

He doesn't really fly inside his cage. It's like a small flutter from bottom to top. The flight cage is almost twice it's size in cubic feet. What I love about it is the draw string type door. I wish I could afford the double flight cage. It's $229.

BirdsFTW

Real Name
Maya
That's about the size of one of Mika's travel cages. You should convince the hubby that they need bigger cages. ;)

Why not save a little more money and just save up for the double then?? Take it from me as someone who has gone from cage to cage to cage - get what you want from the START. Otherwise you'll end up wasting your money. Lucky for me, I was actually able to sell all of my other cages for MORE than what I paid but for most people that's not the case and you'll end up losing money. I'll have had Mika's A&E double stack flight cage for a year come October and I absolutely love it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.