• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage Playtop gym..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The one that came with the cage you purchased.:huh:

Do you guys use it? Or perhaps I should ask.. do your parrots use it much?:)
Personally, my parrots never liked those much. I threw mine out a long time ago and I felt it took up so much space. My parrots Also didn't like having the gym over their heads when they were in their cages. I'm wondering if other parrots are the same?:confused:

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I have 2 that are strictly used as "playtop cages" for downstairs. I like them in general. You can create a complete play area above the cage by putting up a boing and maybe another hanging toy from the ceiling to have them play with.

That being said, all my actual bird cages are flat top ones that I try to create a fun playtop for on my own.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Joanna. Sounds like very great ideas.:)

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I dont have one (as you saw in the other thread) and I can't even add one due to the dome like top. I do wish I had one though!
Pru spends tons of time perched on the top of her cage, so I had to buy one of those grapevine cagetop perches to spice it up a little, but I really wish I had a playtop for her :(
I understand why you wouldnt want one though for Emma.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I really am not sure what those with Dome top roofs do. Sarojie must have ideas for you. I think she likes Dome top.:p

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
When we are at the new place Im gonna have vaulted ceilings, so Im planning on just putting a hanging gym over her cage I think....until I can convince the hubby to get a NEW cage, LOL ~evil laugh~ LOL

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
All my cages have playtops and my birds do seem to use it. Some of them normally they go up there to do their morning poop (have a barrier between the gym and inside of the cage) and they then either play there (have added toys) or move onto the hanging gyms (the gym on the on top of the cage brings them one step closer).

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I never preferred play tops because they don't let in the light, and because even when replaced with Lexan or plastic it filters out some of the UV in full spectrum lighting. On every play top cage I've had, I removed the play top and tossed it or used it as a separate table top type of gym. I prefer domes just cause I think they look a little prettier :)

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I love my play tops. Actually its the only kind I will ever buy again if I can help it. I put paper towel centers on top and babble balls and foot toys. They spend their time throwing things off the top and it's generally a fun time for all :D

I personally can't stand dome tops because the birds poop onto their toys when they climb up on top of the cage.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I have playtops on five cages and all of the birds use them. I add extra toys and foot toys. I also have things hanging above the playtops which they all use. (conures, CAG and amazon).

I have three dometops...Nani runs all over the top of hers....

On Jade and B&C's I attached gyms like the java play top branches, rope perches, etc and they use the dometop as a playtop. Also on all my play tops I have removed the upper tray to let light in...I hope to get plexi to put up there...just keep forgetting! lol

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
All my birds have playtops ... and they all get used. The exception is Mojo, I didn't assembly the ladders and cross perch .. his cage is big, and with the ladders and top perch, the top of the cage was annoyingly high. However, he loves the flat top to play with food toys and such.

All of my cages have hanging gyms and such above them, so the birds go from the playtop attached to their cages, to the hanging things above. I know domes offer more space on top, but too many of my birds love playing on top of their cages for me to switch to that style.

As far as blocking out light .. well .. I use the Plexi like Sarojie. When I leave for the day, and the birds are in their cages, I slide the Plexi out so the UV lights can do their thing. It only takes a second, so it's not a hassle at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.