• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage door slipped on parrot neck

Zimbabwe12

Moving in
Hi all,

I got my meyers last week and today i had the cage door open and when my parrot tried to get in the door slipped down on his neck, i opened the door immediately and my parrot just went in and grabbed a piece of pellet.I was really shocked and my mood is very bad now.I am really worried that he is hurt or something.He did not scream or anything as if nothing happened but I am really worried I probably wont be able to sleep tonight.Will my parrot be okay ? I know that birds are fragile thats why I am dead worried now because I love my meyers very much.Can a parrot of the meyers size handle such accident ? He Is still singing and later on walked up to my shoulder, eating and doing things as usual.But I feel very bad now and constantly worried that his neck is broken or something.Can someone here put my mind to rest.Thanks.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You must have one of those guillotine doors on the cage. Many members here do not recommend this type of cage for this reason. Please get another cage ASAP. It might be a good idea to take your little feathered baby to an avian vet for an evaluation. I hope the bird is OK and not in any pain.

Zimbabwe12

Moving in
He is on my shoulder now playing and eating an almond.I was worried about the neck thing.I gave him a piece of wood to see how hard he bites and and how he moves his head.He is like a pitbull which makes me feel a bit better as there seems to be no issues with his neck, such as a broken neck.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He's likely fine. That's why those types of doors are not recommended, but since they are usually on cages meant for smaller birds he may not be as affected as a Finch or budgie would be

Zimbabwe12

Moving in
This is him eating an almond a few minutes ago.I had him on my shoulderI woke him up to see how he is and as a person with OCD I can't forgive myself for this mistake.He goes crazy when he sees me and immediately comes to the door and says "up" and wants to climb on my shoulder.I really hope nothing has happened to him.

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
All indications are that he is just fine with no harm done. Enjoy your baby.