• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage bottoms..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
1) What do you guys line your trays with?:huh:

2) Those with LOTS of cages (3 or more:D). ... where do you purchase or get your cage paper from?:huh:

3) How often do you change the cage papers?:D

Personally, I use newspaper and I pick up bundles of "old newspaper" from my former University library.:D

I remove soiled papers EVERY single day.:)

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I use newspaper and change it every other day. My mother bought manufactured "cage liner paper" once and it was a big waste of money... just paper really! :huh:

Do you keep the grate in?

Peteysmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Heather
I use news paper too. And I have done Pico's cage (GCC) everyday....seems like I should change it every couple hours though :rolleyes:
The Budgies get new paper every 3-4 days or so....they really don't make a mess. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I use the giant rolls of Kraft parcel paper.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I also use large rolls of plain paper (actually upon JLCribber/Johns suggestion 7 or 8 months ago on another forum) but parcel paper here in my city is EXPENSIVE so I was able to find rolls of kids craft paper at Ikea and I buy that by the armloads! I change it every other day.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I use newspaper, my mom gets the Sunday paper and when she is finished I use it for the birds. I change their cage papers a few times a week and put the newspaper over their grates also.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use newspaper and change it every other day. My mother bought manufactured "cage liner paper" once and it was a big waste of money... just paper really! :huh:

Do you keep the grate in?

Yup! I do because Emma sometimes likes to walk around at the bottom when I remove the tray. I prefer her to walk on the grate, rather than on dried food and droppings.:)

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Yup! I do because Emma sometimes likes to walk around at the bottom when I remove the tray. I prefer her to walk on the grate, rather than on dried food and droppings.:)
I do just the same :) Although sometimes I feel like more droppings get caught on the grate than actually pass through :o:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do just the same :) Although sometimes I feel like more droppings get caught on the grate than actually pass through :o:
I think that's very common with little birdies like budgies. I used to have a small budgie. With bigger parrots, it's alot less. At least, this is what I have noticed from my experience with my 2 girlies.:)

Last edited:

Lex123

I use either newspaper or paper towels. I really like the look of the paper towels, LOL! I change his liner every few hours, and 'no'. I do not use his grate. He likes to walk on the bottom of his cage (hence why I change paper so often!).

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
1) What do you guys line your trays with?:huh:

Newspaper!

2) Those with LOTS of cages (3 or more:D). ... where do you purchase or get your cage paper from?:huh:

I get it from work, old school paper and friends who are nice enough to save it for me!

3) How often do you change the cage papers?:D

twice a week

wezl

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Carla Rae
I've started using phone book pages, after finding out they're ok. I put a shoutout to my neighbors, explaining why I wanted them and recieved a lot of phonebooks! Besides that, Kato gets paper towel in the bottom of her sleep cage. Sometimes she will sleep on the bottom, crazy lory behavior. Oliver rarely poos in his sleep crate, so when he does, I clean it out immediately. I found putting paper under him actually cause more of a mess as it gets shifted around. Kaylee's cage is the only one with a grate. She gets down once in awhile to pick through whatever she's tossed down that day. The outside cages get washed out, so I don't use anything in them. The biggest mess is under Oliver's Tree. I have old cookie sheets with paper to catch the mess in key areas. I quit using the non-stick cookie sheets for baking, so at least now they have a purpose. The rest is caught by the plexiglass piece.
Oh, and I mostly clean them out daily, as there is a mess, but I don't always clean the entire base of the tree, I'll dump the sheets as needed.

Last edited:

BamaBirdMom

Real Name
Janet
I discovered freezer paper for cages. It's white, and pretty much waterproof, and shiny on one side. A large roll lasts pretty good with my five cages. It looks nicer than newspaper and doesn't have the ink smell.

DebysFids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Deby
freezer paper sounds like a good idea , where do you get it and how big is it?
so far I have been useing regular newspaper , I have a few freinds that save papers for me ,but thinking of trying something else

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
newspaper, I grab handfuls of the local free papers in walmart etc. every time I go :embarassed:

BamaBirdMom

Real Name
Janet
freezer paper sounds like a good idea , where do you get it and how big is it?
so far I have been useing regular newspaper , I have a few freinds that save papers for me ,but thinking of trying something else
I buy it in the same section where the aluminum foil is. It comes in a roll the same way. There are two sizes, and I get the larger roll.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
newspaper in the tray, a sheet of kraft paper (I get a roll similar to Johns and cut to size) over the grate

clogger

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Barb
I use newspaper on the grate and I change it everyday sometimes 2 x a day. I clean my cages everyday after my morning coffee. I have 3 keets, 4 tiels and 3 parrotletts so far. I change the newspaper everyday as the neighbor man brings us all of his papers once a week so we have plenty and I wash out all bowls and wipe down inside and outside of cages daily. They all like throwing their seed and hulls out on the floor so I vacume that 2 times daily morning and night.

Status
Not open for further replies.