• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage advice?

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
That looks great. I'd recommend locating one perch much higher in the corner of the cage so that when the bird sits on it the ceiling of the cage is only a few inches above its head. Birds really appreciate a high perch, especially for roosting at night.

I'd make sure to be very watchful of that thick, braided rope holding up the coconuts. If it gets too frayed it could become a risk for entangling your bird's toes or feet. Also make sure birds are never ingesting string of any type.

One thing I started doing recently for my CAG is hanging large, rectangular grass mats sold for hamsters, guinea pigs and rabbits in her cage. I hang one lengthwise from the ceiling of the cage a few inches away from a perch to create a screened-off area for my bird to retreat to. She LOVES it. I hang a second one on the side of the cage next to a perch. The mats create more privacy for the bird so they're not exposed all of the time. This can be especially important when their cage is located near a window. (My CAG is near a window.)

One toy my CAG loves is the rubber foraging balls with a bell in the middle and a metal chain. I hang one from the ceiling free of obstruction and my CAG grabs onto it from the side or bottom and swings and flaps around. I highly recommend them.

Good luck.

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thx for the advice I originally had a rope perch high up but I noticed he was chewing it so I’m going to get a new wood perch, and he doesn’t chew the rope but it is hemp so I think birds can process it and I really want to get a seagrass mat like you said, but I try to stay away from the foam toys because in general Mango is a really heavy chewer and actually tries to eat the foam because of the soft texture, but I really like the privacy ideas thanks so much! :laugh:

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thx for the advice I originally had a rope perch high up but I noticed he was chewing it so I’m going to get a new wood perch, and he doesn’t chew the rope but it is hemp so I think birds can process it and I really want to get a seagrass mat like you said, but I try to stay away from the foam toys because in general Mango is a really heavy chewer and actually tries to eat the foam because of the soft texture, but I really like the privacy ideas thanks so much! :laugh:
Cool. That was smart of you. I don't let my CAG have rope perches for the same reason.

Good luck and keep us posted!

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
This might sound dumb but what parrot us the abbreviation CAG used for I forgot :lol:

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ohhhhhh I love greys

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
I love the set-up! Your sweet birdie might benefit from some more natural perches if possible though. Does your bird like shredding toys? You may want to add some if he/she does, especially around the perches where they are easy to reach and interact with. It seems that most of the perches are in the corners. Maybe try adding some to the middle, or have a solid wooden ladder leading from the top to the bottom of the cage (I see a rope one in there and have nearly the same model for my 'tiel)? You could lower and raise different perches so that your parrot gets optimal use of the space. Perhaps try adding treats to tempt them if they are wary of the lower portions.

Overall, it looks fabulous! Great job caring for your fid! :D

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Cage looks colorful and nice. That snack tray on the outside is very cool, where did you get that?