• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

CAG (Zazu) with two bad legs (sad update #261)

Birdy_in_VT

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
Hello,

We've adopted a baby CAG that has two legs that aren't 'right'.

One appears to be a hip issue. The leg is straight but instead of being the typical splay, it's frozen underneath it's body.

The other leg appears to be splayed but it is movable at all of the joints.

Unfortunately we don't have an avian only vet in my area so we are on our own.

Any non-invasive suggestions? This baby is 4 weeks old.

Thanks

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
oh, you should contact anna. she runs a rescue called Macaw and Cockatoo Rescue. she is on this forum under the name FoxersArtist. she is dealing with a bird with splayed legs right now, and she has dealt with a lot of leg issues with birds in the past.

also, if the bird is still a baby, which yours is, sometimes a vet can correct the problem. but that would require an avian vet and xrays. it would be worth it to go if you can, for the future health of the structure of your little one's frame. things like this can cause pain as they grow older. it's good that your girl is still a baby!

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Like C said if your CAG is still a baby most likely an AV should be able to help direct you with this.

Best to do earlier rather than later for as good an outcome as possible.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Bless you for taking this baby in...I would talk to an avian vet ASAP as there might be something that can be done because the baby is so young:)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Bless you for taking in this little one, and healing energy for his recovery. Yes, the legs can be bandaged and changed as they come together, making them straighter. I have seen photos of how this has been done for babies with really bad legs, and they come out fairly normal.
Make sure not to cut off circulation and change bandages as they become soiled<Important!
here are some examples
Fixing Splay Legs | Parrot Parrot
Correcting Spraddle or Splay Leg in Baby Birds

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
those are some great links carole! very interesting!

keep us posted kurt, if you can!

Birdy_in_VT

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
Hi Everyone, thank you for all your words of encouragement. We do have an Avian and Exotic's Vet very close by. The funny thing, well maybe not, but one of our Golden Retrievers had TPLO surgery and the avian vet is out of the same office.

So we are going to take the advice to seek out professional help.

We also have a Blue Crown with a splay leg but his other leg works fine so he manages with great success. He also has a special personality that melts the hearts of everyone he comes in contact with.

When we were finally able to take some time to look at him more closely, some tears were shed. But as with all of our companions, we will do whatever is possible to raise their quality of life. I don't know how anyone can look into the eyes of these creatures and do otherwise.

I will keep this thread up to date and will post some pictures as soon as possible.

Thanks again everyone!!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
All the best with the little one. :hug8:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
:hug8::hug8:thanks for sharing all the best for the little one

Birdy_in_VT

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
Here is a picture of our new baby. We talked to the vet today and have an appointment on Wed.

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thank you for taking this faby into your heart and home. I hope you have success with helping him. :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
He is precious! :swoon:

Birdy_in_VT

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
I wasn't a big fan of the look of African Grey's. But now that we have a baby and being this young, I am converted. He is just the most precious little creature. The changes in just the few days we've had him is remarkable. One day he grew fuzz, the next couple days pinnies are showing up and sprouting feathers. This is the youngest we've ever had a bird but the breeder just wasn't able to dedicate the time and even though we have handfed before, this is a new experience for us. We do have our breeder available 24/7 if anything arises. But so far so good. He is a very good eater.

We have been holding him quite a bit and tucking that straight leg in when being held. We already see that while be held, he is beginning to tuck it in on his own. So there is progress already. That leg on the bottom is pretty much frozen although the foot is moving. So maybe it will be able to use it eventually. If we can get one leg to be fully functional, I think he'll have a good life. That is our goal.

We are somewhat sleep deprived but thankfully I work from home and my wife is a caregiver for her father so we share the job of feeding every 4hrs.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Good luck and thanks for taking the baby into your life. :)

deee

Avenue Veteran
Thank You for loving that precious baby :) <3

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::heart::hug8::hug8: