• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Caesar, our Green Wing Macaw

Caesar

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Victoria Neyedli
Caesar came to us in 1981 at what we believe to be 25 yrs. old. This makes him about 67 yrs. old to date! He's had 2 mates, both Blue & Golds, that have passed on. He seems to be fine to be on his own now. He's a lovely boy and has become 'Daddy' to a number of healthy, Harlequin chicks over the yrs.. At the moment, he is having a problem with his upper tail shafts remaining on so the feathers cannot release. These got infected and we had to take him to the Vet. (On Vcr. Island I highly recommend Mahalo Vets in North Nanaimo. Finding an Avian Vet was very difficult but they are both knowledgeable and proficient.) It has happened again so we're going back to see Dr. Tollman for further inspection tomorrow. Does anyone know if this could be a dietary occurence?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA! That's so wonderful that you've had Caesar so long and that he's attained such a great age. Let me tag @Macawnutz She has lots of experiences with elderly Macaws. I'll also tag @Toy @Greylady1966 @Shezbug @BrianB they all have lots of Mac experience

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hello and welcome! :hello1:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:hello: Wow 67years young :heart: would you share a picture of him please

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

I am unsure what you mean so I can't offer any help I am sorry.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Possibly a feather cyst?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Caesar came to us in 1981 at what we believe to be 25 yrs. old. This makes him about 67 yrs. old to date! He's had 2 mates, both Blue & Golds, that have passed on. He seems to be fine to be on his own now. He's a lovely boy and has become 'Daddy' to a number of healthy, Harlequin chicks over the yrs.. At the moment, he is having a problem with his upper tail shafts remaining on so the feathers cannot release. These got infected and we had to take him to the Vet. (On Vcr. Island I highly recommend Mahalo Vets in North Nanaimo. Finding an Avian Vet was very difficult but they are both knowledgeable and proficient.) It has happened again so we're going back to see Dr. Tollman for further inspection tomorrow. Does anyone know if this could be a dietary occurence?
Do you mean he is not preening the keratin sheath off the newly grown feather?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

SteveinUK

Hi. I have just come across this site. I had one called Caesar in the 60s / early 70s. At the time they were called Red & Green Macaws not Green Winged. My parents, fed up with the noise gave it away ( I never forgave them). It went to a Stately Home called Woburn Abbey in the UK where there was a pets corner / childrens zoo style arrangement as part of the "Woburn Safari Park". I did visit and ask in the 80s but no one could remember. What are the chances of it being the same Bird?

SteveinUK

Meant to say they used to be called Red & Blue Macaws.

Cali

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Janet
:hello1:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name