• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

By 10 weeks he should be able to....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeesKnees

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lindsey Champine
Sozzie is officially around 10 weeks old now...just shy of, according to the breeder's hatch date....what should he be doing by now? Such as should he be on 3 feeds a day still, should he be eating mostly pellets? .... should he be able to be handled by putting him on his back....can someone give me some "goals" that he should've achieved by now??? And some tips?

THANK YOU!!!!
:)

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't think there is a set number of feedings he should be on. If he's empty or nearly empty, then feed him. If that means 3 times a day or 6 times a day it doesn't matter as long as he's going totally empty at least once a day. I often feed smaller meals more often than a lot of breeders. But, if your guy is able to take a lot of food and does fine with 3 meals a day and doesn't spend a lot of time empty, then I imagine thats fine. I believe that he will soon be reaching the weight loss stage. They usually hit a peak weight and then start loosing weight to get their butt off the ground for the first flight. Along with that, sometimes if your feeding enough, you'll encounter times when he refuses a meal or doesn't want as much. That is normal. However, just because he refuses a meal today, doesn't mean he won't be famished for it tomorrow. They will loose down to a certain point and then often start wanting more formula again. So again, saying 3 meals a day isn't enough information. You need to stay flexible to his needs on that day.

A word of warning though, I would not be trying to get him to roll over when he's got a full or nearly full crop. If he does it on his own, then you don't have much control over it. But you don't want him to aspirate playing rough and rolling all over the place on a full tummy. Thats just general baby raising advice for you. Sorry, I have nothing macaw specific.
Melissa

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
At 10 weeks old I had Mera in a small 24x24 cage. Twice a day I put in a dish of fresh chopped veggies and fruits, unthawed veggies and fruits, dry and wet oatmeal, dry and softened pellets, and some seed and chopped nuts. I still offered as many feedings as she wanted. But by 10 weeks Mera wasn't weaning just taking less as she was preparing to fly. She would only take 2-4 feedings a day and barely 30ccs per feeding. Even though I offered handfeeding and fresh stuff, she was barely taking handfeeding and just barely eating the fresh stuff. By 11 weeks she fledged and was learning how to fly. And at 11 weeks she was eating more and more of the fresh foods. She appeared to be weaning. Only taking 1-3 feedings a day. Some feedings were 30cc's(the day time ones), at night I was sometimes able to get 60-80cc's in her. She continued to beg until 5.5 months of age. I fed her whenever she wanted a handfeeding. So she weaned herself out at 5.5 months old. She was a very messy eater from the time she was learning to fly to weaning.

TheBeesKnees

Real Name
Lindsey Champine
At 10 weeks old I had Mera in a small 24x24 cage. Twice a day I put in a dish of fresh chopped veggies and fruits, unthawed veggies and fruits, dry and wet oatmeal, dry and softened pellets, and some seed and chopped nuts. I still offered as many feedings as she wanted. But by 10 weeks Mera wasn't weaning just taking less as she was preparing to fly. She would only take 2-4 feedings a day and barely 30ccs per feeding. Even though I offered handfeeding and fresh stuff, she was barely taking handfeeding and just barely eating the fresh stuff. By 11 weeks she fledged and was learning how to fly. And at 11 weeks she was eating more and more of the fresh foods. She appeared to be weaning. Only taking 1-3 feedings a day. Some feedings were 30cc's(the day time ones), at night I was sometimes able to get 60-80cc's in her. She continued to beg until 5.5 months of age. I fed her whenever she wanted a handfeeding. So she weaned herself out at 5.5 months old. She was a very messy eater from the time she was learning to fly to weaning.
Sozzie still wants 120cc 3 times per day...???? Should I start backing off on the amount? He's also a LITTLE interested in fresh stuff, but by no means loving it.....I need some help. Any suggestions or am I doing everything ok and he's just taking more time to wean? :omg:feeling a little lost lol

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Feed him as much as he wants when he wants. He will wean at his pace. Mera shocked me with how little she wanted formula(quantity) but didn't wean until 5.5 Months.:) Your doing fine :D

TheBeesKnees

Real Name
Lindsey Champine
:hug8:Thank you for the reassurance. I would HATE to think that I am doing anything wrong, or what have you. Just want Sozzie to be happy....

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree. If he wants formula let him have it. You potentially have many months before you can expect him to be fully weaned. I think the main area inexperienced hand-feeders go wrong is they get nervous if the bird doesn't want food and then they push it on the baby so it never gets hungry and never follows the natural cycle of loosing weight, experimenting with food and learning that eating on their own makes the hungry go away. Those are the people that have two year old macaws still needing hand-feeding. Generally, if you are providing him with plenty of time in his cage or tub to beak pellets and soft food, plenty of time to flap and work up his muscles and allow him to fledge properly, weaning should happen on its own. Cooked sweet potato, mashy banana, cooked rice and quinoa and beans are great weaning foods. At this point he should have those things in front of him most of the waking hours, which means you might need to switch it out 4-5 times a day to keep it fresh. Even though he will waste a ton of food, having a virtual pile of food to sort through does help them along.

Now would be a good time to look at any exposed windows, ceiling fans etc. and bird proof the house. The first flight will be happening in the next few weeks. Generally its straight up and smack into a wall or uncovered window.

If he starts to get a wild look in his eyes when you take him out, it never hurts to let them get it out of their system and fly around before feeding and then put them back in the cage for a few hours after the meal. Smack into a wall on a full crop is not good from the aspiration standpoint. And yet, fledging and being allowed to fly helps weaning go so much smoother.
Melissa

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I have a video of Mera at 10 weeks. It's when she had her first bath, running around the bird room floor, flapping her wings..:heart:

TheBeesKnees

Real Name
Lindsey Champine
Thanks for the advice! He has been flapping ALOT so I am sure the first flight is coming....he is getting that look in his eye but just not brave enough yet! Also, he keeps wanting to try and climb up our arm etc....and he is beaking at his pelletts and fruits...though I haven't tried mashing things up nor heating them, so I am going to try that when I get home. Basically, it sounds like everything I am doing is right....so I am feeling alot better! :dance4:

Status
Not open for further replies.