• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bulbul paired up with finch

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Hello I would like to share something interesting that is happening in my aviary. A month ago i started seeing my female sooty headed bulbul cuddling up against my male gouldian finch. I didn't think much of it at the time cause I just thought "maybe they just like eachothers company". Well a week ago I found bulbul eggs inside my nestbox with the male gouldian, turns out they are both taking turns incubating them. It looks kind of funny as the finch is smaller than the eggs. I would expect this more with a younger male, this male raised 6 chicks last year. its a bit of a bummer I won't get any chicks from him this year though, his mate from last year is left alone. maybe never if they decide that they want to continue their relationship beyond this season. I'm thinking of just leaving the eggs in there until they give up. :think1:.
IMG_4416.jpg IMG_4398.jpg

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is interesting.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
They are so cute odd little couple I know nothing about finches will the eggs hatched and babies be ok or is it a big no no sorry if that sounds like a daft question

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Following this thread:starscfe::popcorn2:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Very curious he would leave his successful mating partner for such a different species. Certainly interesting!

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are the eggs fertile?

Diveks

Walking the driveway
They are so cute odd little couple I know nothing about finches will the eggs hatched and babies be ok or is it a big no no sorry if that sounds like a daft question
Are the eggs fertile?
i think because they are not related at all it shouldn't be. i will try to take a picture of them together or the nest tho!

Very curious he would leave his successful mating partner for such a different species. Certainly interesting!
yes exactly what i thought, they've successfully raised two clutches. and they usually come back to the same mating partner every season so that was surprising.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
got a pic of the eggs, had to let them go out to eat of course. I can’t really get a pic of them on the nest though but it is for sure the bulbul’s as there are only canaries and finches in here.

Now I wonder if not getting her a mate might not be the best idea. She was a hand raised bulbul that I got from someone as a single bird, was not planning on breeding her hence the lack of a male.

i see the male gouldian go back and fourth when they were building it, thought he was just preparing for another season with his last mate :facepalm:
BFCFE3B9-950C-43DF-849C-FFF90EDD42E8.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Beautiful eggs :)

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
got a pic of the eggs, had to let them go out to eat of course. I can’t really get a pic of them on the nest though but it is for sure the bulbul’s as there are only canaries and finches in here.

Now I wonder if not getting her a mate might not be the best idea. She was a hand raised bulbul that I got from someone as a single bird, was not planning on breeding her hence the lack of a male.

i see the male gouldian go back and fourth when they were building it, thought he was just preparing for another season with his last mate :facepalm:
View attachment 434158
Yeah these are bulbul eggs. They build nest in our garden, I can identify the eggs. Your bulbul must has become hormonal after her affair with gouldian finch fiance :p

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Beautiful eggs :)
Yeah these are bulbul eggs. They build nest in our garden, I can identify the eggs. Your bulbul must has become hormonal after her affair with gouldian finch fiance :p
Thank you! Heres the “pair” siting together on a branch. They usually fly around the aviary together. 40C0E4D5-044C-4C63-B6CF-B101589B8F60.jpeg
Unfortunately I will have to put her into a segmented part of the aviary for a bit as a timeout, because she has a nest now she has been bothering the other courting birds. Whenever they sing, while she doesn’t attack them she screams at them and pushes them out of the way. Thought not getting her a male would solve that but i guess i was wrong. Anyways, here are more pics of the other softbills if anyone would like to see them! Some courting, some still in growing in feathers for the season.
8229D004-5CC5-496F-A37C-E228F41C20E6.jpeg 2F808637-8E2F-4C74-B2FA-EE86C6946CF7.jpeg