• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Buggy’s Beak

BuggysWrld

Meeting neighbors
A little worried. First time he’s ever had a beak chip, granted it doesn’t seem to be the biggest ever… I’m hoping this is normal. When Bug had his first check up at the start of September, the vet said his beak looked good - I had been paranoid about the white keratin streaks/etc.

Since then he’s had coconut oil applied every few days. Rightly so he’s not the biggest fan yet of me man-handling his beak to rub stuff on it.

Sorry it’s not the best photo, but he’s a little weird about the camera sometimes. Any thoughts?

IMG_6762.jpeg

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I think that’s a very nice beak!

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
@Shezbug and @Mizzely will be able to help you I know @Mizzely had some beak issues with ripley at first so if anything is up hopefully she can help you

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Your sweeties beak is fine. Chips are normal as is the white lines. Long term healthy diets can help strengthen a beak but nothing with make it chip proof.

Beaks grow from the inside out so flakes are a sign of growth.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
It will wear back down neatly with time/chewing/use.

If it is a small chip there is usually nothing at all to worry or fuss about, but, if it is a larger chip that bleeds or the bird seems to behave like the beak is tender then I would be concerned and see the vet but small chips are pretty normal from time to time.

BuggysWrld

Meeting neighbors
Your sweeties beak is fine. Chips are normal as is the white lines. Long term healthy diets can help strengthen a beak but nothing with make it chip proof.

Beaks grow from the inside out so flakes are a sign of growth.
Oh gosh thank you so much for taking the time to reply and help reassure me. I know I can read “too much” on the internet and of course my heart sank and I jumped to the worst conclusion ever!

It will wear back down neatly with time/chewing/use.

If it is a small chip there is usually nothing at all to worry or fuss about, but, if it is a larger chip that bleeds or the bird seems to behave like the beak is tender then I would be concerned and see the vet but small chips are pretty normal from time to time.
I appreciate this!!! No blood, just a chip and it doesn’t seem to be bothering him at all. He has been at wood a little more than usual today, I’ll attribute that to his instinctual urge to bird and fix himself up!

Thank you both so much!!