• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bug Owners (If any on here)! What water do you use?

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I've been SUPER eager on owning some sort of bug, whether thats a phasmid, beetle, etc. One of my biggest questions is what water is used though? I assume it's not tap water, so what should be used instead? Also please show me photos of your little creepy crawlies :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I only have feeder bugs (mealworms, dubia roaches), and they both get their water from their food. So they get Repashy Bug Gel plus usually some of the bird's veggies. Some other bugs you probably would just mist the tank for them to collect droplets?

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
Just their food. Some get misting to keep humidity up or they need wet & that gets reptisafe in it. I just use tap water though. I know some people use bottled or distilled. Remember a lot of them are horrible swimmers/climbers so they drown easy with standing water:roflmao:

Budgie_guy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Simone
I have three wild snails that I saved from different situations and I've been told to not use tap water (or distilled water). Tap water is not necessarily bad but if you can't be sure of the chemicals in it it's better to use spring/bottled water.
I guess it can work the same way for bugs, even though they don't need to be sprayed like snails do, or at least not as much.
Maybe you are not interested in snails but I couldn't pass up an invertebrate-lover discussion! Haha. By the way, one of them is named Oreo like your dog! :laughing2:

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I have three wild snails that I saved from different situations and I've been told to not use tap water (or distilled water). Tap water is not necessarily bad but if you can't be sure of the chemicals in it it's better to use spring/bottled water.
I guess it can work the same way for bugs, even though they don't need to be sprayed like snails do, or at least not as much.
Maybe you are not interested in snails but I couldn't pass up an invertebrate-lover discussion! Haha. By the way, one of them is named Oreo like your dog! :laughing2:
Ooh! I love snails so so much. I did consider owning some for a while but I know I would forget to crush the eggs and i'd wake up with loads of babies :laugh:. I took care of one with a broken shell for a bit and stocked him up on calciums until he was looking better. They're super cute. I love the names!

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Just their food. Some get misting to keep humidity up or they need wet & that gets reptisafe in it. I just use tap water though. I know some people use bottled or distilled. Remember a lot of them are horrible swimmers/climbers so they drown easy with standing water:roflmao:

Alright so I would treat any water I use with Reptisafe? That sounds easy enough. I was planning on using Prime but it's likely too high in salts.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I only have feeder bugs (mealworms, dubia roaches), and they both get their water from their food. So they get Repashy Bug Gel plus usually some of the bird's veggies. Some other bugs you probably would just mist the tank for them to collect droplets?
Yeah misting seems to be what a lot of bug owners do to keep up humidity and then they just drink the droplets, from what it looks like i'd just treat the water with Reptisafe, or use distilled water.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Poppy does not get any special water, just tap. I spray her leaves once a day or every other day. I would not stop spraying her as she is always pretty eager for water when I do.
20230408_122324.jpg
(This is a slightly older photo she has grown a bit since then)