• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgies with scaley face mites

Moshimaru

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
We got a handful of budgies surrendered to our shelter the other day - unsure of the reason - and today I stopped in on my day off to bring them some small toys, and I think they have mites. I've only seen pictures of this before, and I will try to take some pictures of them tomorrow.

Is there a home/OTC remedy for this? And can I bring it home to my birds?

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't have personal experience but my understanding is that scaly face mites need to be treated by a vet and they are contagious. If it's mites, I wouldn't risk exposing them to my other birds.

@cassiesdad ? @Lady Jane ?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Never had experience with mites, but I would definitely talk to the AV about your concerns...

Moshimaru

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I don't have personal experience but my understanding is that scaly face mites need to be treated by a vet and they are contagious. If it's mites, I wouldn't risk exposing them to my other birds.

@cassiesdad ? @Lady Jane ?
They aren't coming home with me, just wasn't sure if they could catch a ride home with me - or if its the same as most mites and they're species specific. I'll see what AV we have on file that work with out organization. Thanks!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They aren't coming home with me, just wasn't sure if they could catch a ride home with me - or if its the same as most mites and they're species specific. I'll see what AV we have on file that work with out organization. Thanks!
Oh- I think you could give them a ride. I'd just change my clothes, etc before being around bird. My limited understanding of mites is that although they are more common in budgie, canaries and finches that other small birds can get them? I may be wrong..... but I think I would still be cautious.

Scaly Leg Mite (Knemidokoptes) in Birds