• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgies Moving Forward

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Latest labs are back on little Jacqui .. she went in for a follow up on Aug. 30th.

To quote Sylvia .. "Her White Blood Cell count is now normal, as are her liver enzyme and bile acid levels. So no more Baytril needed. Clean bill of health for all three budgies now!!!"

Sylvia will be on shortly with more details .. but here's the recent lab report:

Picture 1.png

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:dance4: :dance4: :dance4: Great news!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Fantastic news... :dance4: :dance4: :dance4: :dance4: :dance4:

Lovebird Lady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Thank you, @Merlie, for posting the lab document for Jacqueline's August 30, 2014 DNA Profile 1 test, here on A.A. I just got home from work now, and could not log on while at work. I also do not have the technical ability to copy documents on here so that they are clear and legible. I don't know what I would do without your technical (((and moral))) support through all of this :wideyed:

So yes, it is true. Jacqueline attended for her last, and hopefully final, veterinary appointment last Saturday, August 30, 2014, to have more blood drawn from her jugular vein (for the third and hopefully final time) by Dr. Korver after another two weeks of Baytril antibiotics.

So, on August 30th, her liver enzyme/bile acid levels showed that they remained within normal range, at 15 (normal range is <80). Her White Blood Cell count normalized to 4.6 (from 8.4 on the August 14th test results). Normal range for white blood cell count in budgies is between 1.9 and 9.9, so although Jacqueline's score on August 14th (8.4) was still within normal range, Dr. Korver was concerned that it was on the high end of normal.

So the extra two weeks of Baytril antibiotics improved Jacqueline's White Blood Cell Count, and her liver function has been consistently normal since her second Profile 1 DNA test on August 14th (13) and again, on August 30th (15).

So no more medicating and no more vet visits for a long time, hopefully, for any of the budgies.

Did the Vet suggest giving her probiotics since she is going to be on antibiotics for an extensive period of time?

I did ask Dr. Tonge, who was the A.V. on duty when she telephoned me with these latest results, whether Jacqueline should be on probiotics given that she has been on anti-biotics for a month. Dr. Tonge stated that she does not recommend this because "the G.I. tract in avians is different than in mammals, and there is no science that has shown any benefits of probiotics in avians as it has in mammals" and that now that Jacqueline's WBC count, liver enzyme/bile acid levels and fecal tests are all normal, she would just leave things as they are, as long as Jacqueline is maintaining her weight gain, which she is.

Dr. Korver had recommended earlier, that I administer the Milk Thistle/Dandelion Detox that I purchased from My Safe Bird Store. So I am doing that.

And so this concludes the medical update on the budgies, so far :D Thank you all for your support through this difficult time :)

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
I could just cry tears of happiness! Thank you so much for doing everything you've done and for keeping us updated all along! :hug8:Does the heart good! :heart:

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Thank you for taking such good care of the budgies and for giving them a loving home with wonderful vet care :heart: :heart: :heart:

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
I could not have pursued the veterinary testing with these budgies to the FULL extent that I did (and wanted to so very badly), without the benefit of the financial assistance that I received from so many of you, and without the direct moral and procedural support of a select few who basically walked me through that process, so very unfamiliar to me. For that, I WILL be forever grateful.

Without that, Jacqueline's liver functions would have remained in a deteriorated state, unbeknownst to anyone, and we would never have known what ailed her. Her gastro-intestinal infection, such as it was, would have gone undetected for the rest of her life, and may have shortened her life, without the knowledge of the need for antibiotics; knowledge that could only be attained through DNA blood testing of all the budgies.

Because I had been able to put my entire flock through this testing beforehand (over a much longer period of time), the thought of not being able to do the same for these three fids, was weighing heavily on my mind from the moment that I picked them up on that fateful afternoon on July 12, 2014. Thank you so very much to all those who have supported this cause, both morally and financially. This happy ending could not have been achieved without your group effort :hug8:

Last edited:

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
All I can say is "thank you Sylvia" Its really doesnt convey how I feel but it really says it all.

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Thats fantastic. Congratulations on a job VERY well done. :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I could not have pursued the veterinary testing with these budgies to the FULL extent that I did (and wanted to so very badly), without the benefit of the financial assistance that I received from so many of you, and without the direct moral and procedural support of a select few who basically walked me through that process, so very unfamiliar to me. For that, I WILL be forever grateful.

Without that, Jacqueline's liver functions would have remained in a deteriorated state, unbeknownst to anyone, and we would never have known what ailed her. Her gastro-intestinal infection, such as it was, would have gone undetected for the rest of her life, and may have shortened her life, without the knowledge of the need for antibiotics; knowledge that could only be attained through DNA blood testing of all the budgies.

Because I had been able to put my entire flock through this testing beforehand (over a much longer period of time), the thought of not being able to do the same for these three fids, was weighing heavily on my mind from the moment that I picked them up on that fateful afternoon on July 12, 2014. Thank you so very much to all those who have supported this cause, both morally and financially. This happy ending could not have been achieved without your group effort :hug8:

:hug8: Anne really chose right, when she chose you. :heart: Thank you!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Wonderful news. I'm sure Anne is giving you hugs from heaven for taking such good care of her babies. :)

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Here are some pics of the green sweetheart in her travel cage in the car and while waiting in the vet clinic waiting room on August 30th :heart: Her behaviour when it is just her and I in unfamiliar territory, surprises me. This is the only time that she will venture to seek out my hand through the cage bars and perch on my fingers when I squeeze them through the bars, WITH NO BITES and even accepts belly rubs for short periods of time :xflove: Then when we are back home, she goes back to being her velociraptor self flying away from me at every chance she gets :arghh:

0830141156a.jpg 0830141157a.jpg 0830141156c.jpg 0830141047b.jpg 0830141047a.jpg

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Thank you for loving those three and taking such good care of them. and maybe Jacqueline will forgive you sooner or later for all the medicene that she sees as trauma now. Tuffy forgave me for trauma that was toenail cutting was for months after i got him.
:tiel2: and mom