• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

budgie twisted toe

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
I wish I could practice giving meds to budgies that weren't MY budgies. This was maybe my tenth time, and I don't feel like I'm getting better.

Merlin got his foot caught on my jacket before I could towel him, and he was trying to twist himself around before I could free each toe. I didn't even notice until afterward that he hurt two of them-- one (long front toenail) was a bit overgrown and the very tip is bent in a way that I think he will be able to chew off without bleeding. The other was his front inner toe-- I don't see any blood or bruising, but the nail is twisted and almost parallel with the ground. I gently touched it a few times while distracting him with a treat, and it doesn't seem to hurt him. He paid that foot some attention while preening, but has been mostly ignoring it.

I know their toes are so delicate, I feel awful-- is there anything I can/should do for him? Has this happened to anyone else? Margo has more bad toes that good (one was so twisted that the nail is growing straight up) and does fine, but still.

He fights SO HARD EVERY TIME, but at least I've never hurt him before. I ended up shooting one syringe over my hand and having to take the safety cap off and refill it one-handed with him in the other-- just a mess.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
is there anything I can/should do for him?
Take him to the vet to get him looked at.

Remember, when holding small birds, four fingers cupped on their back and around the side, one thumb across the front to secure. From there you can use you finger and thumb to gently cradle the head for meds. I hold for a few seconds first so the bird stops trying to squirm away before doing the meds.

If you struggle holding a bird, then use a t-shirt and make a burrito. Gently tuck them into it, being sure not to obstruct breathing (allow so room for their chest to inflate). But this way will keep those wings and feet tucked in and not kicking, twisting or getting trapped.