• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Budgie seriously injured, advice? (GRAPHIC WARNING)

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Oh my goodness….that’s intense.

I have unfortunately seen similar done to a female red rump parrot when her mate decided to try and kill her and basically completely scalped her.

She survived through impeccable hygiene, keeping her warm and in a quiet area strictly where flies could not access her.
She was regularly gently sprayed with HEAVILY DILUTED betadeine and a syringe of freshly made sugar water was regularly dropped onto (but not into) her beak for her to drink every few hours for a day or two until she started eating solids. I believe she actually started eating normally within a few hours but sugar water was continued to be offered for a few days- always freshly made.
surprisingly she made a quick and full recovery.
This was done by a human nurse in an extremely rural area where there wasn’t another option

Obviously vet treatment is the best course of action if at all possible.
but taking you at your word and knowing it isn’t always possible and plenty of countries/locations just do not have the option of a vet or one willing to see small birds, the above is all I can suggest

iamtheonev

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Vote
Oh my goodness….that’s intense.

I have unfortunately seen similar done to a female red rump parrot when her mate decided to try and kill her and basically completely scalped her.

She survived through impeccable hygiene, keeping her warm and in a quiet area strictly where flies could not access her.
She was regularly gently sprayed with HEAVILY DILUTED betadeine and a syringe of freshly made sugar water was regularly dropped onto (but not into) her beak for her to drink every few hours for a day or two until she started eating solids. I believe she actually started eating normally within a few hours but sugar water was continued to be offered for a few days- always freshly made.
surprisingly she made a quick and full recovery.
This was done by a human nurse in an extremely rural area where there wasn’t another option

Obviously vet treatment is the best course of action if at all possible.
but taking you at your word and knowing it isn’t always possible and plenty of countries/locations just do not have the option of a vet or one willing to see small birds, the above is all I can suggest
He's eating solids and behaving normally, will it heal & will his hair on head grow back? Looks like he's scalped at the back of the head too but doesn't let me touch near his face

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Mrs Grassy as we called her remained semi bald.
I will try and find some photos of her. She lived another ten years
Unfortunately red rumps are another Australian grass parrot similar to budgies, but are famous for the boys doing mean things to the girls out of no where.

she was a family members bird in the country

What happened to him? It’s great to hear he is eating

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So sorry to see this ..best of luck getting her better :hug8:

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I will be praying for your poor budgie. If he is eating and there is no active bleeding he might be ok. Watch out for signs of infection.