• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie on Ampho

Birdmom99

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sab
My budgie Opal was experiencing regurgitation and lethargy symptoms. Took him to the vet who said his fecal gram stain was highly suspect of AGY. He was started on Ampho but his PCR test came back negative for AGY. We decided to continue treatment because vet said PCR could be a false negative and his fecal test she was sure is positive for AGY. He’s on day 21 of ampho and his health has taken a decline. He was doing much better before treatment. He is regurgitating/vomiting, his weight has gone down to 32 grams, he looks unpreened and unkept. His appetite is still there and he’s still quite active. Vet also put him on TMS or Sulfadimethoxazole w/ Trimethoprim along with visbiome probiotic but that seemed to worsen symptoms. Right now I’m going to stop the antibiotic and just give him the ampho. Any thoughts on this and how I can make this easier for him?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Awww. It's a tough disease and the treatment is tough on them as well.

Edit...just not clear on possible communications. Best talk to vet.

Hoe your guy feels better

Last edited:

Birdmom99

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sab
Awww. It's a tough disease and the treatment is tough on them as well.

Edit...just not clear on possible communications. Best talk to vet.

Hoe your guy feels better
Yes, my vet is fine with his current treatment and I guess it’s a waiting game. Thank you for responding

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Has your vet advised you to stop the antibiotics? Not finishing the whole course of antibiotics can make the problem harder to clear up- antibiotics really shouldn’t be messed with.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am so sorry. I know what it feels like to see your budgie with AGY. My heart budgie died from it. We tried most all options plus ampho for 30 days. The weight loss is because the nutrients are no longer absorbed. They eat but still lose weight. Its called the wasting period. If you have other budgies i suggest you check them for yeast. If its caught early enough the ampho can be effective.