• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie in love with my fingernails

Pleinair4

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Wendy Mills
Our Morgan (approx 2 years old), once very standoffish, has become hormonal and enamored with my fingernails to the point of regurgitating and lately, attempting masturbation.
I love that he is finally warming up, but not in this way!
He becomes agitated if I hide my nails, pecking at my skin. I put him down, and he flies to my head, then jumps on my hand, over and over.) I do not want to punish him by putting him in the cage and closing the door - it is not his fault that he is hormonal- but I know this behavior is not helpful I have taken to wearing gloves.

We have never touched him in inappropriate areas (back, wings, tummy). He barely allows scritching.

He and Maddy (about 4 years old) have been spatting, too. If I separate them, the free one flies to be with the caged one!
I changed up the toys, they get around 10- 12 hours each day in a darkened cage- any other ideas?

I dearly love him, but geeze!

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Was he hand fed? I wonder if he’s imprinted on human hands. Uncovering the source of the behaviour may help people help you with this.

LiveLolBrd

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lana
Hmm, that dos not sound like fun. Try these ideas,
  1. Limit Stimuli: Try to minimize any triggers that might be exacerbating his hormonal behavior. For example, reducing exposure to mirrors or other reflective surfaces, which can sometimes stimulate mating behavior in birds.
  2. Increase Physical Activity: Providing plenty of opportunities for physical exercise can help to channel some of that hormonal energy. You can try introducing new toys and activities that encourage movement and play.
  3. Dietary Adjustments: Ensure that your budgie's diet is well-balanced and doesn't include any foods that might be particularly high in fat or protein, which can sometimes contribute to hormonal behavior. Consulting with a avian veterinarian about specific dietary recommendations might be beneficial.
  4. Environmental Changes: Experiment with changes to their environment, such as rearranging cage furnishings or introducing new perches and hiding spots. This can help to keep things interesting and potentially reduce any territorial behavior between the two budgies.
  5. Consistency and Patience: Continue to be patient and consistent in your interactions with your budgie. Reinforce positive behaviors with praise and treats, and gently discourage unwanted behaviors without resorting to punishment.

Pleinair4

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Wendy Mills
Thank you for your reply!
I have done most of those things- rearranging the cage - no mirrors or possible nesting areas. Morgan and Maddy are free flighted the majority of the day, so they get a lot of excersize. Their diet is Harrisons pellets and fresh vegetable chop (seeds only as a treat).
I think that consistency and patience is the ticket. Lots of praise for good behavior and a quick turn to another activity (like training) when he starts getting ... er... randy.
The poor baby can get so frustrated!

Wendy

LiveLolBrd

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lana
Thank you for your reply!
I have done most of those things- rearranging the cage - no mirrors or possible nesting areas. Morgan and Maddy are free flighted the majority of the day, so they get a lot of excersize. Their diet is Harrisons pellets and fresh vegetable chop (seeds only as a treat).
I think that consistency and patience is the ticket. Lots of praise for good behavior and a quick turn to another activity (like training) when he starts getting ... er... randy.
The poor baby can get so frustrated!

Wendy
Your welcome!
I guess we all have to just be patient when we have birds!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Quite a common thing with many budgies. (@Sparkles99 I have had many budgies over the years who did this to fingernails and I have not once ever had a hand raised budgie)
Redirect him before he gets to engage with your nails and avoid letting him have access to your hands- you could maybe try painting your nails to see if it is a deterrent (it may or may not swing either way lol, just remember if you decide to try this to use nail polish well away from your birds breathing spaces)