• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent budgie having intense seizures

harum.t

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
harum
hey guys,

i think some of you may be familiar with me and my journey with trying to tame my parakeets—Aster and Moon—fatty liver disease but at this moment, im at a lost of words on what to do :(

recently, after getting pellet recommendations, i tried to focus more on putting pellets into their system, so adding more pellets and less seeds (but still around 1-2 spoons amount in there of seeds and adding the same amount of pellets but 1/2 spoon more), on top of that w/ veggies such as kale, broccoli, carrots, and spinach. i also added flaxseed oil and the milk thistle powder as it was recommended from my avian vet to add those once a day. i had to use harrison’s pellets as they were the only ones i currently had but i just added roudybush pellets as i was concerned harrison’s might not be helping em out.

Moon was fine this morning, he came out and flew but of course still lethargic but he was still hungry and fine.

but now, i’m absolutely panicked because his whole attitude did a 180, (this is before i added roudybush pellet) all of a sudden- his seizures got more intense (he gets seizures and i assume it has to do with nutritional issues + FLD) but i hadn’t seen them get this bad before as he wobbles intensely, and his motor got so much more worse! it doesn’t seem like he can balance himself/stay on a perch without falling ): i really don’t know what’s going on…or how to help :/ i encouraged him to eat but he kept falling into his bowl and would panic and smack himself on the wall. i quickly put him in the cage and now he’s just sitting at the bottom of the cage with his eyes closed, but he’s trying his best to move around but ain’t going so well.

the vet that i go to is closed and doesn’t have emergency service, even so, i don’t have the expenses to get him checked out as my mom is stubborn about vet expenses and doubt she’ll let me take him as sucky as it is.

i don’t know if he’ll make it through the night in all honesty…but he’s trying to eat/move so i’m trying to lose my hope just yet, but i’m still confused on how to help

is there anything i could/should do to make things comfortable? or a way to dial down his seizures?

here’s a video of his motor issues atm (this was before i put him back into the cage) to give a better idea: February 12, 2022

harum.t

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
harum
update: he's being panic/frantic and started flying/slamming himself around the cage and I think his wings are bleeding ): i have no knowledge of how to take care of bloody wings please help..

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Your bird sounds and looks very very unwell. You really need a vet.

Best I can offer is that you limit the available moving room for your bird to a small box and try to keep your bird calm, warm and comfortable.

harum.t

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
harum
Your bird sounds and looks very very unwell. You really need a vet.

Best I can offer is that you limit the available moving room for your bird to a small box and try to keep your bird calm, warm and comfortable.
my mom's willing now to take him to the vet but the problem is, they're closed on sundays ): ill try to keep him comfortable, i tried cleaning his wounds with q-tip, water, and this baby wipe but I'm not sure if i did well since he moved around a lot but wasn't much i could do on my end.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Call around and see if you can find an after hours emerge avian vet.

harum.t

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
harum
Call around and see if you can find an after hours emerge avian vet.
we tried but none of them are answering ):, we have a limited of vets in my area that specifically see birds in particular so i guess i just gotta see if he'll tough it out until morning so i could possibly get an appointment to this other vet place i know that will be open on sundays. Moon experiences seizure but then retreats to the food bowl that i decided to put near him and tries looking for seeds(?) as he dismisses the pellets. I think he's lacking in a certain nutrient but unsure what it could be to help tone down his seizures.

it's really painful just sitting by and watching, feels like an extremely slow death in a way so I'm unsure how to cope

harum.t

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
harum
update:

woke up to Moon actually on this bridge i have on my cage and i tested if he can perch and he can??

last night he was struggling to do so.. and all of sudden, he’s up n chilling (though looks really tired and lethargic).

im still gonna take him to the vet to find out what that scare was and how to act accordingly if it happens again + to get his wings checked out… but that’s if i can get a vet appointment today ):

it’s snowing as well (just my luck lol) so not sure how safe it is to drive or not… just put moon in your prayers