• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie fighting

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
The lady at the shop said it's the minimum requirement for 2 budgies. I'm saving up to get them a flight cage though. I don't know the dimensions but it's a lot bigger than Cosmos old cage. It's very wide

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The lady at the shop said it's the minimum requirement for 2 budgies. I'm saving up to get them a flight cage though.
That means nothing. Plus some places tell you it is ok when really it is too small, or it is the minimum for one bird not taking into account the second bird.
You would have been better waiting and buying the bigger cage first because you will end up wasting the money you spent on the first cage.

Mantis64

That means nothing. Plus some places tell you it is ok when really it is too small, or it is the minimum for one bird not taking into account the second bird.
You would have been better waiting and buying the bigger cage first because you will end up wasting the money you spent on the first cage.
This is a trusty shop the cages they sell even for finches are huge they have no small cages and keep thier birds in aviary inside. The lady has a lot of knowledge about diets and pellets and everything else. Like I said it is a big cage well the budgies look very small in it.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Mantis, we would like to know. The answer to your question will be easier if you tell us the size.

To me, it seems you have something to hide for not cooperating.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
cages they sell even for finches are huge
A huge cage is an aviary. Is that what they sell?

A good cage, for most small birds, is a flight cage. Finches need big cages as they are very active. Do the market double flight cages for little finches? I expect not

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You have two new friends that individually would be struggling for several weeks as they settle in to their new home, new person, new surroundings, new food, new everything. It may be a little too much for them, that on top of every thing else, they also have to adjust to the addition of having a cage mate.

Too much stress can bring on illness. That's why people always say you should always quarantine. These little ones have a lot to deal with given this new situation. You may want to rethink forcing them to live together.

Mantis64

You have two new friends that individually would be struggling for several weeks as they settle in to their new home, new person, new surroundings, new food, new everything. It may be a little too much for them, that on top of every thing else, they also have to adjust to the addition of having a cage mate.

Too much stress can bring on illness. That's why people always say you should always quarantine. These little ones have a lot to deal with given this new situation. You may want to rethink forcing them to live together.
They where together before. Like I said the petstore I got them from are very trustworthy and health test thier birds.

Mantis64

They are together but people/birds act differently under stress.They are probably stressed from moving?
So do you think the fighting will be less after a few weeks they sleep together they mainly fight over the food bowls. It lasts 10 to 15 seconds.

Reactions: Ali

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
My budgies do this too, they can't even live in the same cage together because they usually fight the whole time. Out of the cage they are fine though

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They where together before. Like I said the petstore I got them from are very trustworthy and health test thier birds.
All I would like you or anyone to consider; is that a new bird should be allowed peace to adjust to their new home. It is a stressful time. Too must stress and a bird can become ill. Your words are saying that Storm is not at peace with being caged with Snowball.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Sounds to me like you just don't want to get a bigger cage, nor listen to our advice, thinking your petshop's advice is better.
It gets frustrating when you have an excuse for everything everyone is suggesting!