• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie fighting

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Why do my budgies fight is it normal its mainly over food but I put three bowls in there. Also sometimes they randomly start to angry squeaks at each other and fly around the cage chasing each other. Other times they sit next to each other snowball is very talkative and friendly and tries preening storm but storm doesnt like it they have only been together for a little while do you think they will eventually get along and preen each other.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
If they keep fighting you might have to separate them. You could then try slowly introducing them again, but they may not get along.

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
It might be that your budgies just don’t like each other and never will..it’s very individual and they might not form a bond. If you see them fighting, i’d keep them in separate cages for their safety

Mantis64

It might be that your budgies just don’t like each other and never will..it’s very individual and they might not form a bond. If you see them fighting, i’d keep them in separate cages for their safety
They sleep together they have been together for 12 hours. I will have to see most of the time they are fine.

They are both males I though males dont fight as much. One is friendly and when the other doesnt let him preen he fights.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
will have to see most of the time they are fine.
That is all well in good but, but it is like saying that somebody get abused, but not all the time. It will still be leaving physical and and mental damage to the person. Why would the budgies be different?

Mantis64

That is all well in good but, but it is like saying that somebody get abused, but not all the time. It will still be leaving physical and and mental damage to the person. Why would the budgies be different?
Ok they dont attack each other just angry squeaks by food bowls they dont like sharing.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Are they fighting over the most-filled one?

What food is it? Pellets, fresh, seed?

Mantis64

Budgies are rarely aggressive by nature: their burst of temper will come and go quickly. They will fight over food, and will often clash briefly over friends, toys or territory; but this is all a normal part of budgie society. ... A hen bird will become territorial and relatively aggressive during this period, too.

Mantis64

Okay they shared millet that's a good sign right and when I say fight they dont physically hurt each other just fly around the cage doing angry squeaks. The newer one us a lot more quiet than the other one.

The new one angry squeaks and flies away and the other one follows him cause he just wants to be next to him 24/7

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I think budgie squabbles are kind of normal. If they get over it quickly I wouldn't worry too much. If it seems overly aggressive or if they are going for each others toes, I would seperate them for a bit. They are probably working out who is the boss- and they both want to be!

Mantis64

I think budgie squabbles are kind of normal. If they get over it quickly I wouldn't worry too much. If it seems overly aggressive or if they are going for each others toes, I would seperate them for a bit. They are probably working out who is the boss- and they both want to be!
Nope they are not physically hurting each other thank God it last like 15 seconds or so they just fly around the cage a lot.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
How big is the cage?
A small cage can cause fights between pairs of birds.

Also, Get more bowls.

You may want to introduce more foraging opportunities as they can ease tension and some birds enjoy doing it together.

Mantis64

How big is the cage?
A small cage can cause fights between pairs of birds.

Also, Get more bowls.

You may want to introduce more foraging opportunities as they can ease tension and some birds enjoy doing it together.
The cage isnt the biggest but is big enough that one stays on one side and one on the other they fly in it a lot. I have three bowls for food can put another one in.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The cage isnt the biggest but is big enough that one stays on one side and one on the other
I think your cage may be too small for two birds based on what you have said.