• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie diagnosed with PBFD - Need recommendations for UV Lamp please

Angela18

Moving in
Real Name
Angela
Hi there, one of our beautiful budgies has recently been diagnosed with PBFD. The vet has recommended that we get a UV lamp to help with vitamin D intake. However, I need advice because our (2) budgies spend a lot of time flying free out of their cage. They go into their cage when they want to (which is actually quite a lot). The lamps I have seen so far don't look particularly safe for budgies which might well land on top of them! They often fly to the top of their cage, so one which attaches to the cage would get landed on and pecked! I would be grateful for any advice please :) :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I 'm sorry to read of your budgies diagnosis.

Sorry I do not know about the lamp, but you say "one of", were the other birds tested?

Jxdeeyy

Strolling the yard
I use this floor lamp for mine. It’s good as you can have it anywhere in the room. My birds actually land on it and play on it and that’s completely fine because the bulb is covered on the top :)

(Is also available on Amazon if you are from outside of the UK, but any similar floor lamp will do - just make sure it is specifically for birds as reptile ones are a bit different).

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use a metal clamp on lamp from IKEA or Target with an avian bulb for one of my birds - the cord is fully enclosed in metal and he's not prone to chewing random things. He has spent a few weeks here and there talking to the knob and touching it with his tongue :wacky: but otherwise he's left it alone (he's not happy I'm taking a photo instead.of bringing him a treat!)

17054440732275580170331416674069.jpg

Granny

Moving in
Real Name
Ally
I am a new bird owner. I was given a male and female cockatiel. I’m sorry to hear about your little one, could you please tell me what PBF is and symptoms

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
could you please tell me what PBF is and symptoms
Psittacine beak and feather disease.

Granny

Moving in
Real Name
Ally
Psittacine beak and feather disease.

Thank you so very much for this information! Both my birds are missing feathers on the back of their necks. It doesn’t sound like it’s PBFD. I was worried. Could they be over grooming each other? They are sitting on 4 eggs that I think are duds - it’s their first clutch of eggs. It’s been 27 days and they tossed one out of the nest and when I held it up to the light it was empty-no veins or signs of life so I tossed that one and they are left with the 4. Could that stress have caused them to pluck feathers out. I’m sorry I rambled, I just want to be a good bird mom

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Could that stress have caused them to pluck feathers out.
It is possible.

Be sure to remove eggs after 3 weeks of incubation. When you remove eggs, take the whole nest, remove any nooks in the cage or in the room they have access to. Rearrange toys and perches, move the food and water bowl. If you can move the cage a little or rotate it, even better.
Always take eggs as a clutch.
If your eggs are yellow after 10+ days, they are not fertilised.