• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie chicks attacked in nestbox

Tayswain

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Hi, I have an aviary with budgies and cockatiels and in the past have handreared several cockatiel chicks. I had to take two in last week because they had been attacked by one of my budgies. Well, today I went into the aviary and found that three of my budgie chicks have now also been attacked, so I have had to take them in too. My question is, do I follow the same feeding principles for budgies as I do for cockatiels, ie. based on their weight, the quantities and times of feeding? I use Kaytee Exact, which I know is ok for budgies and cockatiels. Or can anyone point me to a site that gives all the details I need? I have found several sites for cockatiels, but haven't managed to find one for budgies yet. Obviously, the chart I have for amounts which cockatiels should be taking at certain ages will be different for budgies, being as they are smaller, so not sure if it will work following the cockatiel chart. Can anyone help please?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
same feeding principles and for the love of god get the budgies and tiels away from each other..that is a recipe for disaster. Budgies are very aggressive and will hurt and even kill a tiel

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
You will want to separate your Cockatiels and Budgies, this is one reason why they shouldn’t be in the same aviary, especially when they start breeding.

How old are the 3 Budgie chicks? If between 3-4 weeks old, they need to be fed every 4-5 hours I believe. It is important to weigh them daily, and keep a record of it, this is good just in case the chicks start losing weight, which can be a sign of something not being right.

There is some great information here:

Budgie Hand Feeding And Weaning Guide
General Hand Feeding Times And Amounts

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
As the others have already stated, do not keep the budgies and cockatiels in the same aviary. It is a recipe for disaster. ;)

Tayswain

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Hi, Thank you for your replies. I was told that budgies and cockatiels live quite happily together and I don't usually have any problems, except around breeding time. I have been worrying since speaking to you and have now taken all by nestboxes out, as they were empty anyway. I am currently trying to plan how to build onto the aviary and separate the budgies and cockatiels.

Thanks Renae for sending me the links for the Cute Little Birdies Aviary, which is a very good site and helped me with all the things I didn't already know. I think the budgies are about 22 days old, from watching a development video on You Tube. I am feeding them every 4 hours with varying amounts of success. One is very good and taking about 3mls each time. One is just starting to accept the formula and at the last feed took 2 mls (she is very tiny), but one, although looking healthy and taking water, won't really take the formula. She has pecked at some seeds and egg food though. I have to keep them separated because they keep fighting, which is awkward, meaning a couple of brooders and a nestbox. Anyway, sorry to take so long to reply, but I am being kept very busy at the moment feeding all the baby birds. Thanks again.

blueyez49423

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Caroline
That's awful, little bully birds! :(