• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie Bully - Is There Any Way to Stop This?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Everything was peachy in budgie land when they moved into the flight, until a day ago. Belle, the youngest budgie - a 1yo female - has been chasing other budgies around the cage, specifically Emma. She has also done this to Maui, Max, and Pi...but the favorite target is Emma. The theme is that these are all my "sweet" birdies...very quiet, less spunky, whereas I'd qualify the others as "feisty."

She'll eye up the poor girl just sitting on a perch, and then fly right at her, causing Emma to fly away. As soon as Emma sets on the new spot...she flies at her again. She repeats this like 5 - 10 times in one round, and then suddenly just stops for a little while or switches targets. At first I thought it might be a game, but Emma (and the others) show absolutely no sign of playing back. They look flustered.

Is there anyway to curb this behavior besides separating them? She's not doing any physical damage to anyone (I've been monitoring intently to make sure), just being what seems to be really annoying to them. Emma CAN use the exercise...but the poor girl is tired from dealing with her!

Belle is untame...I was thinking maybe removing her and working with her one-on-one to tame her could somehow help?

Any other ideas?? :confused:

evsrin

I really don't know, but I like the idea of trying to work with her one on one. Maybe that would help.

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
I do think separating her away from the flock and doing some 1 on 1 may be a good idea. Perhaps you could put her cage within sight of the flight cage, so she can still get the flock reassurance?

Coco's Momma

Real Name
Robin
I don't know of any way to curb it other than separation. Often they work things out; sometimes they don't. What is your ratio of females to males? The females tend to be domineering by nature, but often when there are two mature females together, or more females than males, problems can certainly arise.

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
There are 5 females and 3 males. Belle is bonded to Cirrus, and Emma has not bothered that relationship at all. The weird thing is that Belle and Maui lived together before in a ration of 3:1 female to male...so I find it odd that she's suddenly messing with her too.

No one else is causing any trouble or ganging up on anyone...so this is a mystery to me. Perhaps this is just a phase that will work itself out? They did only move in a few days ago...

And I did take Belle out and work with her, and she actually steps up and sits on my shoulder and gives kisses.

And as I type, Belle and Emma are eating near each other on the ground with no issues, so perhaps Belle is just playing a "childish" game with the older birds now that they have room to fly in the flight, and they just don't like it?

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I really don't know, but I just hate bullying in all its forms. I would separate the bully out, rather than let them 'work it out.'

Status
Not open for further replies.