• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

budgerigar nutrition

Coki

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Well, i'm turning my budgies to a better diet, though i always wanted to learn more about nutrition of these little guys. I know nutrition is a quite hard and somehow endless topic since we're still learning about our pet's nutritional requirements.

But doing some researches i've found this free online e-book and i wanted to share it with you. It cover most of budgies caring aspects but the chapters about nutrition are really complete.

Here is the link, i hope you enjoy it!

Budgerigar Nutrition

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks for sharing

Coki

Avenue Veteran
No problem! Glad it helped.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I thought parrots, including budgies, did not need grit?

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for sharing. :) To answer Shawna's question, I never fed my budgie any grit and was strongly advised not to. Can't remember the reason why since it was ages since I made that decision. I bet @lotus15 would be able to elaborate.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
On the topic of grit... great question and very often comes up as it is a bit confusing. Grit as it is usually packaged is little pieces of minerals and sand. The reason why it exists is because some types of birds swallow seeds whole rather than hulling or shelling them, so the grit that they consume helps to break these seeds down in the gizzard. Birds like chickens and maybe pigeons, I believe, benefit from grit in the diet. Budgies, however, DO hull their seeds and do not consume the hulls or shells, so they don't need grit. In fact, they cannot digest grit (as the sand-type is insoluble) and it can cause digestive issues and impaction. Whether your budgie is on a seed or pelleted diet, then again grit is unnecessary (since its purpose is only to help break down hulls and shells) and can even be dangerous.

On the other hand, there are certain types of soluble grit-- like oyster shells, ground cuttlebone, or types of grit made of calcium carbonate that do break down and are digestible-- and these are okay to offer to budgies and other parrots.

I haven't read through the entire e-book but I will say that if it is still recommending grit in the diet I'd be very hesitant to believe its other nutritional recommendations as that is a very outdated recommendation and can cause great problems for your budgie's health.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I haven't read through the entire e-book but I will say that if it is still recommending grit in the diet I'd be very hesitant to believe its other nutritional recommendations as that is a very outdated recommendation and can cause great problems for your budgie's health.

This was primarily my concern. Thank you so much for the grit rundown!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I agree as it was a confusing read
From what I read it seemed to ask more questions than it answered. I agree not very good source of in :wacky: formation.

Coki

Avenue Veteran
I wasn't sure about grit either. Some people told me grit was ok for budgies and some other said it wasnt. All my budgies have their mineral blocks though but i am giving them grit too. I'm not sure if it is better to feed them grit or not though. They seem to like it.

I wonder how budgies get calcium and minerals from nature though. Some birds may eat dirt in order to get minerals. Some dogs with mineral lack do aswell.

Is there any non-toxic and digestible thing you can put in an aviary for grassy keets to dig without having the chance they can get sick if they eat it? I was thinking grit or sand but now you make me doubt xD

clawnz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Jumping right in about GRIT! And the term GRIT!
The trouble starts with the definition of the word. Shell (Like Oyster shell) is never going to be a true grit, it is calcium. And should never be termed grit. It is no different to Cuttle Bone, Egg shell. Which is not grit in any form.
True grit is sharp sand, or any hard grit, like that used on sand paper, and will never dissolve in the crop of a parrot.
Hook beaks do not need true grit as they crack their seeds. And feeding hard grit can lead to crop compaction.
Yes! It is said that at least some parrots like those who ground forage may or do ingest some soil and in that case grit as well.
Chickens,Finch, Sparrows and the like need grit as they grind whole seeds they swallow. Totally different types of birds.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I wasn't sure about grit either. Some people told me grit was ok for budgies and some other said it wasnt. All my budgies have their mineral blocks though but i am giving them grit too. I'm not sure if it is better to feed them grit or not though. They seem to like it.

I wonder how budgies get calcium and minerals from nature though. Some birds may eat dirt in order to get minerals. Some dogs with mineral lack do aswell.

Is there any non-toxic and digestible thing you can put in an aviary for grassy keets to dig without having the chance they can get sick if they eat it? I was thinking grit or sand but now you make me doubt xD

As I said above, it is certainly better NOT to feed them sand grit, regardless of whether they seem to like it. If by grit you mean oyster shell or ground cuttlebone (which are good sources of calcium), then it's okay to keep offering it, but please do not offer them sand or mineral grit as this can actually pose a serious danger or even deadly threat to them.

My budgies Sabrina also seemed to like to dig so what I did a few times for her was put some freshly cut wheatgrass on a platform perch for her, or a large shallow bowl, and let her dig around in that and nibble on the grass. Once in a while I'd also sprinkle a small amount of seed on it. She really liked to forage in that way.

Coki

Avenue Veteran
So...smashed shell is right then? It is good to know. I'm not sure if my grit hassand in it or not. It is really hard to get grit here and i don't exactly know what mines has so i'd rather take it away than expose my birds to digestive issues.

About digging and foraging, i live in a really dry place and it isn't easy to find grass. There are some dry plants called coiron but i don't know if that is safe, wild rabbits feed on them. I guess i will see what i can add. I've one budgie that likes to dig, but will get 'tiels soon and since they love to walk i thought adding a sandbox and hiding seeds would be good for their minds, since my birds don't forage too much, they have plenty of toys and sometimes go down into de floor looking for seeds but that is all.

How about dirt, or wood virutes (not sure if that is the word? ), foraging could't get harder lol.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
So...smashed shell is right then? It is good to know. I'm not sure if my grit hassand in it or not. It is really hard to get grit here and i don't exactly know what mines has so i'd rather take it away than expose my birds to digestive issues.

About digging and foraging, i live in a really dry place and it isn't easy to find grass. There are some dry plants called coiron but i don't know if that is safe, wild rabbits feed on them. I guess i will see what i can add. I've one budgie that likes to dig, but will get 'tiels soon and since they love to walk i thought adding a sandbox and hiding seeds would be good for their minds, since my birds don't forage too much, they have plenty of toys and sometimes go down into de floor looking for seeds but that is all.

How about dirt, or wood virutes (not sure if that is the word? ), foraging could't get harder lol.

I think it's smart to take the grit away :)

As for wheatgrass... it's actually extremely easy to grow yourself! You can grow many seeds and grains into grass, like barley, sunflower, oats, etc. There's lot on the forum about growing grass.

Dirt is usually not recommended because there can be fungus and spores in it, which can cause diseases. I don't know the details of it but I do know it's not recommended to expose parrots to dirt.

Coki

Avenue Veteran
Oh, i do grow grass, but o won't be able to grow enough to fill a sandbox. Plus grass gets bad a few hours after you serve it and i need something you can change but it doesn't get bad.

These are the things that i believe may work:

-wood shavings: As long mas they don't get wet, they won't get spoiled. Though it has to be a safe wood shaving. I'd try pine but people says it is toxic for birds. I may buy eucalyptus wood and make the shavings myself.

-trees crusts, as long as they arte from a "safe" tree. It may be a lot of work collecting these but i can't think of anything better.

Coki

Avenue Veteran
Oh, and how about bale? The one they use to feed cows and farm animals?

clawnz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Quote: "I'd try pine but people says it is toxic for birds"

Pine shavings from very well dried and aged pine could be used and I think reasonably safe.
I would not use it myself. And yes it is said not to use this in a nest box. Which to me does ring alarm bells. This I think is due to the possible sap.
There are plenty of other woods that are bird safe.
Yes any Eucalyptus is safe as far as I know.
I have no idea what Bale is sorry!
One of the things I will do now and then is grow a tray of greens for them to forage in. This is the next step after sprouting.

Budgies are ground foragers so as long as you are comfortable that any soil you do use is safe then I would not worry too much.
BUT! Indoors in pots some people do tend to over water and this can lead to soil toxicity This also goes for potting mix its self. So please use caution.

Last edited: