• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

brought my new baby home today have a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

aussiechick

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
hayley
I bought my new GCC home today he us fully weaned but he has been in his cage for a hour or hour and s half and is on s perch up the top he hasn't showed any intrested in his food i have his food on a lid on the floor as the breeder said that is a good idea until he knows where his food containers are how long until he will start showing interest in his food i know he is in a new environment but just stressing about my new baby

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
He is most likely scared and stressed from the move to his new home. I would just keep an eye on him, he may be fairly quite for the 1st few days. I would also put some food in his regular food dish where you plan on feeding him every day.

Last edited:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Can’t say how long exactly because it differs for each bird. He may not start eating until tomorrow, maybe sooner, he may even eat and drink while you aren’t around.

Katana

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katana
Congrats on your new addition!

I agree with the others who posted, and they gave great advice (especially putting some food in the food dish and spot that you would like to feed from regularly).

aussiechick

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
hayley
I put some food in his feed bowl what about water should i put some on the bottom in a saucer

Katana

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katana
Yes, you can have a saucer of water on the bottom (in a corner away from an above perch...so you don't get poopy water) as well as in the main water bowl you would/will regularly supply.

He needs to get used to his new environment. He will start to settle in and get more comfortable with his new home and you, in a few days.

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
Finally! :dance5:Congratulations!!!!!!!! As the other said he isprobably a bit scared and he needs to get used to his new home. You could have the bowl in your hand and take it put and feed it to him so he knows the source of the food is in the bowl?
Congratulations, And goodluck with him!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Congrats on your new baby.:) Please monitor his weight and eating. Some babies revert back to wanting some comfort feedings for awhile. How old is he?

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Congrats:hug8:You have received great advice! Do You have any millet spray? I always weave a piece through the cage bars(where he is perched) for the new baby to munch on while settling in:hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Congratulations on your new baby! When making a fuss of him, also put some mushy food onto his beak to taste but make sure he is left with a clean beak at the end of it. Once he starts to eat he will be away. The important thing is to watch he drinks and just let him settle. When Leroy was a baby I used to say to her after some warm sweet potatoe "clean your beak" and in the end she used to wipe it on my T shirt! Serves me right! Good luck.

aussiechick

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
hayley
He is about 10 or 11 weeks old. He ate i moved his food higher where he was perched and he also ate millet spray. Another question his wings are clipped but i am scared that he will jump of me and hurt himself what can i do so he doesn't awwww i love him so much and i am really happy i got the bigger cage he will need all the room he can get very active lil fella he is

brdfvr

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Krystal
Many GC conures are clipped initially. I had a young one that was able to fly very well even with clipped wings. Usually the young ones can at least flutter to the ground unharmed. If he does accidentally jump off and plummets to the ground, he should be ok. They are hardy little things. Just know you'll have to keep a better eye on him. And CONGRATS!

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
It is always a good idea to leave the chest muscles get strong and develop before clipping the wings if it has to be done at all. They are so much more balanced and healthy that way.Good luck with your baby brings back so many memories of Leroy growing up!

Mr.Bird

Walking the driveway
Congrats on the new baby... My tiels took a few days before they were comfortable with the new environment, cage & us. We tried to keep the volume down on our TV, dint ask him to come out of the cage with us too much and let them rest properly since they would be stressed by the move... Just let them be for a day or 2. Mine started eating properly after a day... They will start eating from lower bowls once they are well settled... With respect to landing, mine dont land hard. Even with fully clipped wings they can fly few feet before making a smooth landing. Again, this is based on my exp with the tiels.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats hayley on your new baby.Do you have any names picked out yet?

Jazzysmama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
It's common when a bird goes into a new enviornment to be stressed or a little scared. I always believe in leaving them alone until they get comfortable. He may not eat today but not to worry. Jazzy, my gcc is a very skiddish little girl, it takes her time to get used to something new, even toys when I rotate them. Don't worry mama, your faby will be fine.:) Some do want to revert back to hand feeding, I agree, keep an eye on his weight. You are going to love having a gcc, they are so funny. Life wouldn't be the same around here without jazzy in it. Congrats on your baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.