• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Broken Wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Wow, that is fascinating. Thanks for the photos and explanation. What a bad spot for a break. It looks owie.:(
Thanks too for the explanation on them. They sure are gorgeous! I am so glad he is healing so well. How did this happen, did I miss it or did you say?

happybirds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jan
Just saw this!

The pins w/ external fixation are really interesting aren't they! The x-ray shows how well they can align the bones by using the pin.

Hopefully the next time you go, they will see some nice callus formation and he will be on the road to a sucessful recovery.

I wonder if you will have to do birdie physical therapy once the hardware is removed?

Looking forward to hearing your next update.

Your zons are beauties!

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Amy, Thank you so much for showing/explaining the pictures! Wow what a great job the vets did...
Looking forward to seeing the finale out come ....one step at a time!:dance5::hug8:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you for the pictures and explainations. They were very easy to follow. I hope that things continue to improve!

Matt

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
wow those pictures and explanations are very interesting....hope he continues to heal :hug8:

Willow

Sprinting down the street
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amy
Just a quick update to say Cypress continues to do SUPER! He is eating well and I think he and Mulberry are settling into their new "captivity." Last night was the last dose of meds (Thank Goodness!! So glad that is over.) Now just waiting waiting waiting for the bone to heal . . . prayers and healing vibes and good thoughts shamelessly pleaded for, so that we can have a miracle and he can fly again . . .

The Platinum Parrot

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lisa Bono
I'm glad he is doing better. :hug8:
the xrays are amazing, and so is what they can do to help our little ones!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is good to hear! I hope that he can fly again as well!

Matt

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Good news Amy. Sounds like he is coming right along.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Can't remember but what is the time frame for the "metal" to come off? and How are you going to exercise him afterwards....I'm wondering about the "elbow" starting to be "frozen" or does he extend it any now????OK just went back and looked at photo's...he really can't move the "wing" per se...so work on the "elbow" area will be needed to "loosen" it up right? Once the metal is gone...:hug8:

Last edited:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for posting the xrays, it is very neat to see how they aligned the broken bone. Lots of prayers for a full recovery and that he can fly again :)

Willow

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amy
Back for second bandage change tomorrow . . . fingers crossed that things will still be looking good . .
ps - posted some older pics of the boys in the amazon pic thread!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Sending healing energy!:hug8:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope everything goes well! :)

Willow

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amy
Thanks! It was a little disconcerting as when they unwrapped his wing one of the pins had actually come out the other side?!?! However, they took him back, snipped off the end, one of the orthopedic vets examined the fixature and said it was still stable, everything was rewrapped and we go back on the 16th for radiograpghs and possibly removal of some of the pins!!! So, we shall see . . . still very much a waiting game . . .

Here's the only pic I got, we arrived an hour early so we were hanging out in the shade. ;)

Here's a link if you can't see the pic above:
Amy B Hershberger's Photos | Facebook

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
he looks good though...lots of healing energies on the way!

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope the next visit goes great and he can have some ins removed :) Will they have to permanently leave any of the hardware in his wing?

Willow

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amy
Hi Jill,
I'm not sure if anything will need to stay in or not, but I'm thinking the plan is to take it all out, just maybe not all at once? Not 100% sure. Cannot wait until the 16th to find out!!!!!

hotfoot jackson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
With people they prefer to remove "hardware" if they can when everything is set as it can become a focus for infection later. Should imagine it would be similar for birds.

Willow

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amy
So, Cypress went back for the x-ray to see how things were going. Dr. Orcutt told me they bone was healing very well :), but that he would have little extension in the wing. :( So, she said he will not be able to fly but will be able to use the wing for balance, etc.

They did not remove anything yet, but we are to go back in 3-4 weeks and have everything removed!!!!!

I am relieved that he is healing well with no complications but heartbroken (and still holding out hope the vet is wrong) that he will not be able to fly again.

I can't wait to have him bandage free to he can enjoy a bathe!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.