• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Broken wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayjamyers

Walking the driveway
Real Name
dayja
PETEY is a Triton cockatoo who i recently adopted. He was originaly from a "mill" type breeder who broke his wing trying to force him to mate. Unfortunately he was taken in by a less than qualified woman who allowed his wing to remain broken and it healed that way soooo what can i do?? surgery?? clip the feathers?? please any advice?? :confused: A pic of my new baby below being hostile

Attachments

Jacob

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Herdis
Poor baby. Have you taken him to an avian vet and asked what can be done if anything?

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
Sometimes, depending where the break is, they can go in and "rebreak" and use pins. The pins will stay in for about 4 -5 weeks and then removed. Physical therapy follows. Don't know if that will work in your situation. I would check with your vet.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
POOR BABY... definitely a vet visit in order..the poor guy

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
He is certainly very handsome and how good of you to take him in and care for him. A vet check definitely and weigh your options. Is he able to get around his cage OK? I actually knew a Triton who only had one wing due to a stupid breeder and you would never have known it. Of course she couldn't fly but that was irrelevant and had a happy busy life.

dayjamyers

Walking the driveway
Real Name
dayja
Yes he gets around pretty good i think hes had it for while he seems used to it. A vet visit is in definite order THANKYOU:hug8::heart:

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
poor petey.
:confused: <that face is because i dont understand how breaking a wing could help breeding efforts. Do people who practice this method break it themselves?
is he afraid? what does he think of your home?
i sure hope he settles in soon, so you guys can make friends.
please give him love for me, as I am now quite depressed to hear someone did that to him.
He is still a pretty boy:)

dayjamyers

Walking the driveway
Real Name
dayja
No he was an ignorant person who was frustrated with Petey because he did not want to mate. He seems happy nd adjusting well eating only his new pellets and fruits and veggies I LOVE HIM:heart:

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Reading his wing was broken on purpose makes me sick to my stomach. Because I believe in God I pray that there is a special place in hell for people like that. Now I have to wash my mind out with soap because my thoughts to this person were vicious.

Thank you for taking this precious bird into your heart and into your home. Petey is blessed to have you. I hope a good avian vet is able to help him and restore the use of his wing. I will keep him in my prayers.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
OH poor baby..hard to believe there are people out there who would actually do that...I would talk to your vet figure out your options.

Jadesmom

Real Name
Mary Ann
Reading his wing was broken on purpose makes me sick to my stomach. Because I believe in God I pray that there is a special place in hell for people like that. Now I have to wash my mind out with soap because my thoughts to this person were vicious.

Thank you for taking this precious bird into your heart and into your home. Petey is blessed to have you. I hope a good avian vet is able to help him and restore the use of his wing. I will keep him in my prayers.
Oh how I agree. I saw a macaw like this before at the rescue near me. Such crumpled, twisted wings.I cried my eyes out the first time I realized people could be capable of such cruelty.
I hope the vet can help, or at least make sure Petey is pain free.
You have a great heart......:hug8:

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to The Avenue.

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
Taking him to a vet is the only thing I can suggest. Something like that is not something you can really solve with wing clipping or doing something at home. Good on you for rescuing him!

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
Poor Petey. I am glad you are taking him to the vet and he lives with you now.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I'm glad you're going to get him in to see a vet. There may or may not be anything that can or should be done at this point. I'm glad he's found a place where he'll be safe, loved, and properly cared for.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Bless you....may that man rot in hell.

Natty

Meeting neighbors
An x-ray will tell you what can or cannot be done with his wing. Well done for taking him on, I'm sure he'll repay your kindness with much love. :)

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Poor little Petey... Thank you for taking this little guy in and let us know what happens at the vets office...

looniebirds

Jogging around the block
Real Name
melody
Well I certainly hope the rest of that guy's birds were taken away from him! What an evil jerk! Somebody oughtta....you get my drift.:atomic:

Status
Not open for further replies.