• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Broken Toe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

citronlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Gidget seems to have a broken toe... Although I can't say I've looked at his toes too closely before, so perhaps it's always been like that...
He moves around, jumps, climbs, all just fine. Flies too. Doesn't seem to be in any sort of pain and sings away...
Should I bring him to the vet?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Can you take a picture for us or, even better, a video of him moving around? If it's an old break that has healed and is not causing him any problems there really isn't anything to be done. However, if it's aggravating him causing him to chew at it, or if it's causing him pain and he's favoring it or not using it, or if it is bent at an unusual angle that can possibly get caught on something as he climbs around which can cause it to be ripped off or broken again then he should be taken to the vet. It's always a good thing to let your avian vet take a look at it to see how it is developing for your peace of mind and your bird's health and well-being. :)

citronlover

Avenue Veteran
I will try to get a video tomorrow, but I will definitely get a picture. Yes I was thinking that maybe if there's still something that can be done my vet would help me. I've never noticed a day where he seemed sore at all, and didn't hear a screech of pain. Nor has it ever looked swollen... Im assuming if it has broke, it's already healed. Although it is kind of at an angle :(

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I am guessing if it is at an angle, there is nothing the vet could do anyway? I have not heard (yet) of a broken toe being fixed after it has healed. The main thing is that he isn’t in pain though. :hug8:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Mindy Tiel broke her toe two weeks ago. Right at the second joint. It doesn't bend any more because it looks like it is right at the joint. It was red and swollen for a while and I looked at it and tried to set it, but no go. She is back to normal now, but the toe still does not bend. I had some anti-inflammatory mix from another bird's recent injury and used that for her and the toe looked a lot better after three days or I would have taken her into the vet.

Hope your baby continues to do well with her toe.

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
I took my Macaw to the vet once and maybe due to a lot of struggling the bird had a dislocated toe when he got home. I called the vet and he came right over and put it back! It looked like it was broken but there was no swelling. He was kind of favoring it though and looking at it. What your bird has just could be a dislocation especially since you just noticed it and there looks to be no injury on the surface. The vet just snapped it back in place but I would leave this to a vet.
Katherine
:o:

RachelReznor

Meeting neighbors
Monster also has a broken toe, it must have been broken when he was very young. It's stunted and curled under. I did take him to the vet when i noticed (ashamed to say I didn't notice immediately) but the vet told me not to worry as he manages just fine and doesn't appear hampered in anyway.

citronlover

Avenue Veteran
Thank you everyone for your comments! It seems like there may not be anything that I can do about it anymore, but I will probably get the vet to look at it and see if perhaps it is dislocated. He hasn't been favoring it or even looking at it or picking at it, so I'm assuming he's just fine and dandy anyways. Hope that this is the case, and that he doesn't have to go through any unnecessary pain because of it!

Will post picture and video after work :)

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
I can see the toe in your second picture. It looks a bit swollen which is what happened to my bird. The vet said it would hurt when he put it back and he did let out a squawk. He said I could do it but with a Blue and Gold I could lose a piece of my finger. There is a chance that it might go back by itself. If it is an old injury and the bird isn't showing any signs of pain I would let it be. Let us know how it goes, okay? I am very interested. Take care.:heart:

citronlover

Avenue Veteran
I can see the toe in your second picture. It looks a bit swollen which is what happened to my bird. The vet said it would hurt when he put it back and he did let out a squawk. He said I could do it but with a Blue and Gold I could lose a piece of my finger. There is a chance that it might go back by itself. If it is an old injury and the bird isn't showing any signs of pain I would let it be. Let us know how it goes, okay? I am very interested. Take care.:heart:
The first picture is actually a video lol :) And yes it does look a little bit swollen. I think I may let it be for this weekend, and maybe phone the vet and ask them their opinion. I trust them a lot since I brought Fiona in, and I'm sure they'll let me know what I should do as well.

Thanks so much!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Awww...what a little cutie patootie! It sure doesn't seem to be slowing him down any. :) I think it's a good idea to get your vet's opinion and see what he advises even if it's just for your peace of mind since it does look a little swollen.

citronlover

Avenue Veteran
Thanks, he is pretty cute isn't he? :) And I think you're right. Fiona's vet stay took a toll on my emergency funds, so I have to wait until Monday since I get paid on Friday and might be getting Vesper Saturday :)

Status
Not open for further replies.