• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Broken nail

dzbjw

Moving in
Real Name
Dana
Hi everyone Bella was getting ready for bed and my boyfriend was picking her up not thinking he put the arm he is currently wearing a brace on for her to step upon. When Bella was trying to hop off her nail got stuck and is now broken sideways, at first it was bleeding but it's no longer bleeding anymore. Just wondering what further action I should take. Incase you need to know Bella is an Eclectus

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
As long as the bleeding has stopped, some cayenne pepper will help for pain and coconut oil is an will help prevent infection, both applied on the nail.

Grey15

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cathy
I had an Eclectus years ago that broke her nail. She eventually got very quiet and kept that foot raised and it felt warm to the touch. She had developed an infection and needed antibiotics. Watch your bird closely and don't hesitate to make a trip to the vet if you notice unusual behavior. Good luck!