• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Broken blood feather that I can't pluck... What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snackies

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rebecca
I kept smelling a funny metal/blood smell and just found out its Mimi, she has a broken blood feather right next to her preen gland thing. Problem is that it's so short that it's not able to be plucked out, it's still kind of under the skin. It was only bleeding a bit so I cleaned off the dried and fresh blood and I'm now keeping an eye on her... Problem is our only avian vet is an hour way, and they are closed. The local vet also closed at 4... What should I do?

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
I wouldn't be getting much sleep with my nerves. I know you can't grasp one of those with tweezers. if you have a "multi tool" you might try to use the small pliers that are on them if you don't have forceps. Problem is you said it's slightly into the skin :( Did you have any Kwik Stop to apply to try to keep it plugged and give a little pain relief? It might be fine but I'm the kind that I just want my vet to tell me so.

Hang in there whew

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I would pack it with corn starch. If you have cayenne pepper others have had good luck making a paste using cayenne pepper. Besides clotting it off, Cayenne evens out the blood pressure so the area would have less chance of bleeding.Don't try pulling it if under the skin as it could break off more and then the dr would have to cut and surgically remove it. She should be fine. Put clean paper on the bottom of the cage to watch for any fresh blood. Direct pressure to the area works also. Tomorrow watch so she doesn't accidently open the would while trying to groom the preen gland. :hug8:

snackies

Real Name
Rebecca
Thanks guys, it's scabbed over a bit now, I don't think it's bleeding anymore... I have put down some fresh paper like you said. She seems ok, she was picking at her tail feathers before but not the blood feather from what I could see... will still keep an eye on her. Does anyone know if it should just fall out by it's self or keep growing? It seems kinda irritated and damaged from what I saw, I don't know if it's broke off in there or something, it's hard to see.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
If it is not bleeding anymore-then I would leave it alone-BUT I would get Her to Your Vet as soon as You can.If it is irritated,then She may pick at it.It would be best to have Your Vet remove it.:hug8:

If it does bleed before You can see the Vet-A cayenne pepper paste would b best to stop the bleeding,and it will help for any pain she might have from it.:hug8:

snackies

Real Name
Rebecca
thanks for the help, I am going to take her to the vet before work this morning. it's not bleeding anymore but I don't want it staying in there because she now seems really irritated at it, picking at it etc. poor Mimi. ): will update how she goes.

snackies

Real Name
Rebecca
just thought I'd post an update, Mimi is all better now. We had to get the feather surgically removed by she did fine, she now has some gel to put on the wound for the next few days. Lola came along to keep her company and they got new toys for being good birdies. x

ebb81a94b91511e1a9f71231382044a1_7.jpg

a26dd7c4b92a11e18bb812313804a181_7.jpg

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Good news Mimi is all taken care of. Wow new toys for both . They scored!

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
:hug8::dance4::hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.