• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Broken blood feather help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

deee

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
so glad shes better. I was following along last nite wishing I knew what to tell you. I hope you post the pics is this same thread :)

copswife30

Real Name
Kathy
Glad to hear she is doing better this morning, I know the broken blood feathers will scare the crap out of you, looks like you got some good advise on what to do :laughing12:

SaraR

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sara
So the first one is the feathers she lost that came out of her cage and the other ones are in front of Dino's cage the next 2 were when I realized I had a huge issue cause she went directly to the floor and there was blood. Her face got a little banged up I think maybe from the falls.

Attachments

SaraR

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sara
i counted that she lost 6 total all on that side and she is working on getting the broken one out so 7.....it's broken but not broken off....should i just let her work on it?

she just tried to fly from the window sill to me...only 3 feet but luckily she latched onto my sweater before she fell....scared the crap outta me....AGAIN!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
She is much better this morning and is happily perched on my shoulder. we are about to be off to take our morning shower to get all the rest of the flour off of her....i got a little bit zealous with it:o:
Been there, done that. :lol: Could have baked a cake with that much flour!! :D

SaraR

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sara
ok the broken feather is really hurting her now i think i need to get it out she won't touch it and she's growling and screaming at it please help!

SaraR

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sara
ok i have my friend coming up but she is about 50 minutes away. i can't do it by myself and towel her and hold her wing and pull it out and apply pressure at the same time. she is so upset right now she keeps falling which i'm sure is upsetting her further and i'm trying to not give her an opportunity to fall but trying to restrict her has her pretty peeved too

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
The best thing to do until your friend gets there is to put her in a carrier so she can calm down. Our avian companions are so in tune to our feelings that when we get stressed over something that is wrong with them it makes them that much more stressed trying to figure what is wrong with us. If you can put the carrier in a quiet dark place this will help her to relax.

I would never attempt to pull a broken feather unless there was someone that could help me do so, to try and attempt this by yourself is setting you up to damaging your relationship with her.

Best of luck!

Lauren and Jack

Real Name
Lauren Watson
We always used flour.... lol and if you can't find it... Flour never hurt anyone. more the better. until bleeding has stopped

SaraR

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sara
ok broken feather is out and she preening in her cage. my concern now is the fact that the one wing is durastically shorter than the other one...i really don't want to clip her but i'm afraid she might hurt herself trying to fly....the only way i can guarantee that she won't fly is if i keep her on the floor when she's out as she wouldn't be able to get off the floor. but i'm also afraid that if i clip the other one to even her out it will be WAY too much clip in such a short amount of time and she could hurt herself that way. i need some guidance...i will wait until tomorrow to go get her beak and nails done that way if decided i can get her wing done too but i just want to make sure it is the best decision for her

SaraR

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sara
These are both her wings as you can see the one side is missing a substantial amount of feathers. The last is the one we pulled out. It was fractured in one spot about and inch above the skin and had a sharp piece sticking out and the again where is connects and that what was causing it to be so floppy

Attachments

ashbirdlady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christa
I would ask at the vets tomorrow. Personally I would get both wings trimmed the same and be super careful with her til they grow out again.
Nothing to worry about just something to deal with. ;)

SaraR

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sara
she will not be going to the vets. I bring her into a pet store to get the beak and nails done...i can only get into the vets by appointment only and they can't get me in for another 2 and a half weeks

and i don't let her on the floor with the dogs and cats out they get put elsewhere and then she wanders around

Last edited:

ashbirdlady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christa
Oh good! I am sure you will watch over her diligently and she will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.