• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

bringing 2 zebras home

Happynme

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
They are very cute - Like the names you are thinking of. :)
Thank you. They are very flighty...i hope im not terrifying them...but however unexpected of my inquiring them...i think ill enjoy them. I love thier little meeps and the males song. Maybe happy will pick up on them and be quieter? Yeah im not holding my breath on that. Lol

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
NO their poop should be coiled like a lovie's. Maybe they are scared right now, but keep an eye on that.

The one exception is color, in my finches what should be green is brownish cause I feed pellets.

The fleece blanket should be fine. They may start picking at it (I had 2 out of 50+ pick at threads) then you get to figure out how to prop it away from the side just a little!

They will be still when you catch them, and then bite you with their tiny beakies which as a lovie owner you will laugh.

Those are nice names. :)

* bircages4less is having a big sale *

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
NO their poop should be coiled like a lovie's. Maybe they are scared right now, but keep an eye on that.

The one exception is color, in my finches what should be green is brownish cause I feed pellets.

The fleece blanket should be fine. They may start picking at it (I had 2 out of 50+ pick at threads) then you get to figure out how to prop it away from the side just a little!

They will be still when you catch them, and then bite you with their tiny beakies which as a lovie owner you will laugh.

Ok...deff keeping an eye on the poo. They seem to poop the second they see me so it may just be fear. Im hoping they wont pick at fleece. But if they do ill figure something out. Thanks for all the help and the patience. Your finches were lovely. I think they are very pretty little birds.
Im laughing because i think a bite from them would likely feel like a knat. Ha!

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
I had a few almost twenty years ago. Except for chickens, I wasn't a bird person back then, they came with a house I bought. The bird cage was built in. It was filthy, and impossible to clean, so I scrapped all that and made an enclosure with fiberglass screen. I could take it apart to clean, so it worked out much better. I let them fly around the house much of the time - which proved to be their demise one fine Spring day when I had the door open for a bit.

I recently bought an "flight" cage on Amazon for $42 for a canary. Hendrix Prevu, 31"X18"X18." (I really wanted the big one on wheels, F something 50, or other, but we simply DON'T have the floor space! I put this smaller one up on a mantle. It is in no way suitable for a parrot, and of somewhat flimsy construction, but works fine for a finch. Comes with an integral floor grate. I HATE those, and spent a couple of hours taking that out and re-stabilizing the cage without it. The bird and I are happy with the results so far. Anyway, you might want to look into that one.

Enjoy them!
I like the names.

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen

I changed the fleece idea...i doubled a king sized thick cotton sheet...i have the cage wrapped somewhat like an envelope...and its catching the majority of the giant mess they are making. Insaine how something so little can mess up so much. I spotted a few "less watery" poops on a perch...so maybe it was just fear. Which is good...
Im trying to determine should i vet them when the 90 day quart is up. They are very curious of me and if i stand really still and sweet talk them they get closer and turn thier heads at me. Mom said they love to be talked to. So...im still not complete sure on the males name...but reyna is deff the girls. She is very much like a lil queen ...bossing the male around ha!

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
I had a few almost twenty years ago. Except for chickens, I wasn't a bird person back then, they came with a house I bought. The bird cage was built in. It was filthy, and impossible to clean, so I scrapped all that and made an enclosure with fiberglass screen. I could take it apart to clean, so it worked out much better. I let them fly around the house much of the time - which proved to be their demise one fine Spring day when I had the door open for a bit.

I recently bought an "flight" cage on Amazon for $42 for a canary. Hendrix Prevu, 31"X18"X18." (I really wanted the big one on wheels, F something 50, or other, but we simply DON'T have the floor space! I put this smaller one up on a mantle. It is in no way suitable for a parrot, and of somewhat flimsy construction, but works fine for a finch. Comes with an integral floor grate. I HATE those, and spent a couple of hours taking that out and re-stabilizing the cage without it. The bird and I are happy with the results so far. Anyway, you might want to look into that one.

Enjoy them!
I like the names.
Yes i understand floor space issues. I live in a single wide mobile home and happys cage is very large... I miss my floor space but shes so happy in it. I figure they spend 85 percent of the time in it..so big as i can afford/fit in home. Finches likely wont be out of the cage often so i want to give them as much as i can but still have something i can put up on a counter/shelf unit ect

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

Enjoy them!
I like the names.
The F040 is the smaller flight and is good for finches. I bought 2 F050 cages and removed the sides and ziptied them together. I have 5 pairs of gouldians in there. It's really fun. I left the grate in the floor and place paper over it in layers which can be removed one each day.

@Happynme you can do things to reduce the mess. Feeders on the side cause mess, so put a tiny bowl in the middle of the floor with their seed, for example. I got small bowls at Pier 1 and Michaels. I am thinking of buying some of those clear plastic things you put under planters, then i could set the bowl inside it and that would catch a lot of the seed hulls.

For water, I use tube-style drinkers instead of the open dishes; zebras make their water filthy, and it can't be good for them.

I'll look for a good cage online. Wish you were closer; I have 6 or more for sale!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Amazon seems to have the PRevue cage cheapest. White is also better to hide poo!

Hagen Vision cages are also really popular, apparently have lots of bells & whistles. I don't have one. I have a lot of the Prevues. They will seem a tad flimsy to someone who has bigger birds, but, finches don't require much.

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
The F040 is the smaller flight and is good for finches. I bought 2 F050 cages and removed the sides and ziptied them together. I have 5 pairs of gouldians in there. It's really fun. I left the grate in the floor and place paper over it in layers which can be removed one each day.

@Happynme you can do things to reduce the mess. Feeders on the side cause mess, so put a tiny bowl in the middle of the floor with their seed, for example. I got small bowls at Pier 1 and Michaels. I am thinking of buying some of those clear plastic things you put under planters, then i could set the bowl inside it and that would catch a lot of the seed hulls.

For water, I use tube-style drinkers instead of the open dishes; zebras make their water filthy, and it can't be good for them.

I'll look for a good cage online. Wish you were closer; I have 6 or more for sale!
Ill try the food in the middle. I have tube water and a open bowl. So they can bathe and make a mess...plus theyre used to open cup...but theyll have clean water from the tube as well. I have 2 hooded dishes but they have to be sanitized first...maybe that will help keep food in and poop out lol

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think i have names.

Female:
Reyna
means "queen" in filipino...since it looks like she has a crown on her head
Male:
Lukayo for the male ,it means "clown" in filipino (since he has orange cheeks )

Rey and luka for short?

Thoughts?
Love these names! :)

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Im having trouble with those names....i like them. They are fitting...but its just not their names. I know that sounds silly but...theyll tell me their names sooner or later
I tend to go with the name that pops into my mind every time I see the animal. Sometimes, that happens after I've chosen a name that doesn't quite fit. I have a fancy rat who was originally named LaPaz, after a small city on the Baja Peninsula. The name should have worked, but just didn't. His white and grey markings remind me of a Husky. Yukon Corneilias was the name that stuck.

Sometimes, you have to be patient, however.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I had zebras for a few weeks and they suddenly died, both of them without warning or sx. I have terrible luck with anything canary sized and smaller. But I loved having finches; all eight times I have tried to have them... So constantly on the move and active. Happy will love them jumping around all the time.

Yes, a longer/wider cage than a taller/skinny cage is much better for finches as they are like constant perpetual motion birdies and prefer to be as high as they can get in a cage and will ignore the bottom unless you keep their food and water there. I had a very small adjustable pressure Birdy Butler waterer for them and they did great with it. Water always clean and never drips unless the bird deliberately holds down the valve. I kept their seed and food under a "table" with a newspaper on top of the table. The table was four inches off of the floor and it kept them from perching on the feeding bowls and pooping in them. The table can be made out of wood or even heavy cardboard and short dowels. Really kept the food clean.

I was totally uninspired as I called my cock zebra "Mead" because it sounded like he said that word at times.

PS: Several of my finches got killed by Oscar RBP when he learned to open the feeder doors and went inside and killed them. Put either twist ties or clips on the feeder doors to keep Happy from letting them loose accidentally. She will definitely figure out how to open those feeder doors.

Last edited:

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Enjoy your new zebs! I have three adults and four chicks that should be fledging soon. I love their meeps. My single male is pied and gorgeous and my pair is a normal male and my hen has a dusty tan chest but otherwise normal coloring. I bought them from someone who felt she was allergic to them. I tried adding a second hen from a pet store but she died. I am hoping to give my pied male a female chick eventually.

I think your names are adorable but if they don't feel right I understand completely. It took me about a month to find the right name for the bearded dragon I took in last year. I am her third home in four years and I wanted to give her a new name. I finally settled on Charlotte. It fits her well. My finches enjoy playing with hay, swinging on their swing, a plastic chain, unbraiding raffia or jute I put on the sides of their cage, playing on a basket, with plastic links, paper shred ( you will want to keep this very limited so they don't use it for nesting). I have natural branches n their cage they love to hop around on. They love to be talked to and will fluff up for you the more they get used to you I bet. Mine do. They also like having their cage decorated with fake vines as finchly mentioned. I have mine on the outside ATM. I am planning on making a couple decorations for them with decorative rocks and a plant. Keep us updated on how they are doing. My Pair became very stressed when their first clutch didn't survive but they turned around with a lot of tlc and extra care. I had to catch Maddie several times to care for her. She did fine. Cornering them with a small piece if cardboard helps. Once you have them in your hands they don't not squirm much and are hardier than you expect. ❤

They have the 18x18x30 finch cages available online or at the big box pet stores. They are easy to connect if desired or they also make taller ones.

Hopefully Happy will be interested but not upset over the house guests.

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Enjoy your new zebs! I have three adults and four chicks that should be fledging soon. I love their meeps. My single male is pied and gorgeous and my pair is a normal male and my hen has a dusty tan chest but otherwise normal coloring. I bought them from someone who felt she was allergic to them. I tried adding a second hen from a pet store but she died. I am hoping to give my pied male a female chick eventually.

I think your names are adorable but if they don't feel right I understand completely. It took me about a month to find the right name for the bearded dragon I took in last year. I am her third home in four years and I wanted to give her a new name. I finally settled on Charlotte. It fits her well. My finches enjoy playing with hay, swinging on their swing, a plastic chain, unbraiding raffia or jute I put on the sides of their cage, playing on a basket, with plastic links, paper shred ( you will want to keep this very limited so they don't use it for nesting). I have natural branches n their cage they love to hop around on. They love to be talked to and will fluff up for you the more they get used to you I bet. Mine do. They also like having their cage decorated with fake vines as finchly mentioned. I have mine on the outside ATM. I am planning on making a couple decorations for them with decorative rocks and a plant. Keep us updated on how they are doing. My Pair became very stressed when their first clutch didn't survive but they turned around with a lot of tlc and extra care. I had to catch Maddie several times to care for her. She did fine. Cornering them with a small piece if cardboard helps. Once you have them in your hands they don't not squirm much and are hardier than you expect. ❤

They have the 18x18x30 finch cages available online or at the big box pet stores. They are easy to connect if desired or they also make taller ones.

Hopefully Happy will be interested but not upset over the house guests.
Thank you. So far they seem to be takimg it all in stride. I get meeps n beeps when i go in...and other than flutters when i chanhed the water they seem to be more curious than frightened now. Im going to leave them in the cage thyre in until a friend sends me a cage shes no longer using. Its tall as well but i think over all will be fine as this one has a few rust spots and a few bent bars im worried will snap. So ill be grateful to get her no longer used but in good condition one...and ill return my mothers and only keep the one for emergency cage or happy sunning outside cage

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I found even the smallest of finches learned to recognize faces and would always come to the front of the cage to greet me a got really excited if they noticed I was carrying a treat for them. If either of my friends approached their cage, the birds would hang back and avoid the front of the cage. After Yvonne visited regularly for six weeks, getting treats every time she visited, the canaries and finches learned to greet Yvonne with enthusiastic calls and instant acceptance of the treats she placed in the cage. I was actually quite surprised how quickly they accepted her friendship.

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
I found even the smallest of finches learned to recognize faces and would always come to the front of the cage to greet me a got really excited if they noticed I was carrying a treat for them. If either of my friends approached their cage, the birds would hang back and avoid the front of the cage. After Yvonne visited regularly for six weeks, getting treats every time she visited, the canaries and finches learned to greet Yvonne with enthusiastic calls and instant acceptance of the treats she placed in the cage. I was actually quite surprised how quickly they accepted her friendship.
Yes they do seem to reconize faces...they look very confused when my husband goes in....ha!