• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeding.....,Male or female

rossoneri

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dr. Ahmed Refat
Hi guys, I have those 2 wonderful pairs of Fischer Lovebirds and i was planning to breed them. I wonder if somebody know how can I determine their sex other than laboratory DNA testing which is very expensive here in Egypt

Photos will follow

MyAussieFriends

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
Sadly lovebirds are not sexually dimorphic. I think the only truly reliable way is for the DNA test. I recommend looking at different avian vets to compare prices.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What is your experience breeding? It sounds like you have NONE. This is not a learn-as-you-go type thing. Truth is as a "doctor" I thought you would realize this.

rossoneri

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dr. Ahmed Refat
I actually have a 3 years experience in breeding as I bred Budgies, Zebras & Lovebirds. And they all had babies and all is well with breeding in the others cages, but these 2 pairs are strange. The pair on the right were nesting and when i bought the pair on the left i moved both pairs to a bigger cage and removed the nests for 3 weeks. Now as I put the nests back, they are not together anymore they are trying all nests and each one of the 4 birds is like trying his luck with the all 3

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
Like @MyAussieFriends had stated, lovebirds are not sexually dimorphic. So DNA/blood testing is the only way to go to have a reliable answer.