• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeders in the Ave??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhonny95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ishmael
Haven't been here too long, but I'm curious if there are any breeders here? Or retired breeders?? If so what do you guys breed? Or use to breed? (If you have only breed once for the experience post up what you've experimented with) I'll start this off, I started with Love Birds and Cockatiels. Since then I have moved to breed most of the Grasskeets and other parakeets I have attempted to breed Rosellas, Ringnecks, Plumheads, Bourke, Scarlet Chested Parakeets, Elegants, Turquoisines, and Red Rumps. I've successfully bred Rosellas, Bourkes, Scarlets, Red Rumps and Turquoisines. Looking forward to hearing from you guys:D

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I feel the same about breeders as you expressed in your posts in the Barefoot Parrot thread. Why are you breeding (if not for saving species) when there are an estimated 6 million parrots in rescues? Hypocrisy at it's extreme.

Almost every one of those birds in a sanctuary/rescue were once someone's loved baby - The others are breeder birds that were abandoned because they no longer produced profits.

I volunteered at a sanctuary (one of the largest) for 2 years, was on the board of directors and I know whereof I speak.

Jhonny95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ishmael
I feel the same about breeders as you expressed in your posts in the Barefoot Parrot thread. Why are you breeding (if not for saving species) when there are an estimated 6 million parrots in rescues? Hypocrisy at it's extreme.

Almost every one of those birds in a sanctuary/rescue were once someone's loved baby - The others are breeder birds that were abandoned because they no longer produced profits.

I volunteered at a sanctuary (one of the largest) for 2 years, was on the board of directors and I know whereof I speak.
Hypocrisy?? In Barefoot Parrots post did I say anything about breeders? No I was merely commenting on the rude remark made by a member. Secondly and most importantly please do not make assumptions about what "type" of breeder you think I am. I take great pride in the well being and health of my birds. Whatever time I don't spend on school/homework, chores, and work, I spend with my birds. I do my best to maintain a clean and healthy environment for my birds. I don't sell baby's out of the box or sick birds, if one of my birds gets sick I either treat if it is in my capability or take it to an experienced veterinarian. I've been doing this for 5 years with my father and while I'am still learning I do have a pretty good grasp on what and what not to do. While I do acknowledge that there are a lot of unwanted birds in shelters I want you to know that I am not the type of breeder that sucks all the baby's out of a bird and just dump it on a random shelter. I have over 20 retired breeder birds that I have kept because I do not want them to suffer in a shelter. I don't want to start an argument on whether breeding should or should not be practiced, I do this as a hobby, I do it to see new generations of birds be born because I enjoy it. I do not over breed my birds nor do I sell them to random profit breeders. I sell to close friends and reputable breeders. I'm only 16 I do this for enjoyment not for money. Breeding and keeping birds is what has been and is driving me to become an Avian Veterinarian. The last thing I would have to reiterate is please do not make assumptions on what type of breeders you think people are with out even knowing them. I respect your opinion on breeders but I'm not the type of breeder you think I am.. Thanks for your comment have a nice day.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
A breeder, is a breeder, is a breeder. There are too many parrots, puppies, kittens, hedgehogs, ferrets, guinea pigs etc. out there now.

Get a clue kid, breeding is killing.

PS - You didn't say anything about breeders in the Barefoot thread and I didn't say you did. What I said is that I have a lot of contempt for breeders especially when the breeder is as critical as he was in the Barefoot thread. That may have been one of the babies you or your buddies sold. Go back and read your posts - look in a mirror - or I will post your cruelty to a young person.

Jhonny95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ishmael
I was critical about one person's specific remark about personal matters, I did point out other people's negativity which I did not make up. Almost everything that was said was true, I was merely implying it could have been delivered better. As for the breeding part of our discussion like I said I'm not going to argue with you since their is no point to it. We would just be going back and forth and I don't feel like wasting either of our times. So all I can say is that I am as responsible as I can be with my birds, thanks again for your comments and input. Have a good day.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The absolute cure-all for anyone who has nothing to stand on, "HAVE A GOOD DAY".

Jhonny95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ishmael
The absolute cure-all for anyone who has nothing to stand on, "HAVE A GOOD DAY".
Ugh I said "HAVE A GOOD DAY" because like I said I don't want to argue. However let me clarify somethings 1st I am not for breeding for profit, but breeding for real and honest hobbyist who do everything in the best interest of their birds I am fine with. If you aren't, I understand so, and I don't know what else to tell you. I've explained that I am not out for profit and that I do everything in the best interest of my birds. Yet for some reason you are still being very hardheaded and are sticking to your presumed idea of a breeder. Their is a good and bad to everything, I'm sorry you seem to believe there aren't any good breeders out there. If you are looking for an argument on the pros and cons to breeding you won't find it with me. I know it is hard to accept that there might be some good breeders out there after seeing all the birds you've seen in shelters, but I do try my best to make sure my birds go to good permanent homes so that they don't end up on death row in some random shelter. That's that, good-bye.

Last edited:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Did I miss something? This is a breeder section correct?...not controversial bird/animal topics. Gosh, if I did breed this is not the place I would come. If one wants to be a good breeder what better way than to learn from one. Good breeders will not come though if this is the reception.

I will admit this...those that breed have taught me many things. Diet is one. Good breeders had healthy birds before pellets etc and they kept populations of birds going that others could not. It is interesting learning the diets that were provided that kept these birds healthy.

Instituting healthy husbandry is also a plus for those of us who cherish these birds as pet companions. A "good" breeder raises their babies in such a way as to keep them secure and comfortable to be a companion but still know how to be a bird. Babies need protection and they also are in a learning mode. A good breeder is one who is able to provide for these things.

It is not the pet trade that learned to weigh their animals. They learned from breeders or boards such as this. Breeders knew weight was important for birds as it is one indication that there is a problem.

There is a lot more that one has learned because of breeders. Yes, there is a dark side which needs to be corrected by public pressure but not at the disservice to those that do it right. I always hated rules and regs developed for those that did things wrong but ultimately punished the good folks.

thanks for listening. I have four rehomed birds and one baby from a BREEDER.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I do not have much to say about breeders, except to reiterate what Hank Macaw said in regard to a lot of birds in rescues etc being out there. However, you seem like you are trying to do the best for your birds..Stormcloud left you some great suggestions on the thread about your grass keets...there are a couple of other breeders on here..one being Allen, who does not come on too often but I really like him a lot..he provides toys and a good sanitary area for his birds and makes sure they go to good homes....Please do take some helpful suggestions that other members might be trying to provide for you and please do realize that there is a dark side to breeders out there and it frightens most of us...We hope you are not one of them and continue to take good suggestions.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
WOW-Is there a full moon over the Avenue tonight:eek: Come on People-Lets TRY harder to be civil and even NICE(what a concept) to each other! We can ALL have opinions But PLEASE lets NOT be mean to others that are NOT of the same opinion! AGAIN I SAY-IF You have nothing NICE to SAY-STAY OFF the Thread!

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I have helped my aunt with several clutches of baby cockatiels. We never purposely bred her 'tiels nor did we ever put things in their cage to encourage it. Her female 'tiel came from... I think Florida... and was a breeder bird. My aunt is the type of person who couldn't ever think of stopping the egg during it's production. Of course now that I have learned a lot more about babies, we most likely would sub them or freeze them. Especially since she's older now and the last clutch had a baby with a severely malformed leg which had to be euthanized. We think she is done now and too old to lay anymore though because she hasn't for some time now.

I learned a lot when I moved in and started helping with the babies. Some of the first batches I didn't live here so I'd come over on the weekends to help. We always gave them lots of foods as they were weaning and offered pellets and seeds. It was really fun to watch how fast they grew and educational to learn all the dangers of hand-feeding and how to do it properly. I am volunteering at PAWs right now - but in the dog walking section. When the baby bird nursery opens back up I'll probably volunteer there also because I have the necessary experience to help out.

I have always said that Zen and Sam would make adorable babies, but I would never ever add a nest box or try to get them to mate (HAHA, like they would anyway.) Even if they somehow got past their differences (unlikely) I would make sure the eggs were not viable. While it is a fun experience, after I really sat and looked at CL and rescues, I realized that it just wasn't fair to satisfy my own selfish desire to bring babies into the world that would likely end up with several homes in it's lifetime. I have birds from both worlds - Neelix was from a fantastic breeder and Samirah was (or at least I was told) from a backyard breeder. This is also the place her leg was likely mangled. She was handed to her previous owner in a paper bag. It was not an ideal upraising for her, but at least she's found a safe landing now.

Jhonny95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ishmael
I do not have much to say about breeders, except to reiterate what Hank Macaw said in regard to a lot of birds in rescues etc being out there. However, you seem like you are trying to do the best for your birds..Stormcloud left you some great suggestions on the thread about your grass keets...there are a couple of other breeders on here..one being Allen, who does not come on too often but I really like him a lot..he provides toys and a good sanitary area for his birds and makes sure they go to good homes....Please do take some helpful suggestions that other members might be trying to provide for you and please do realize that there is a dark side to breeders out there and it frightens most of us...We hope you are not one of them and continue to take good suggestions.
Thanks Anne I appreciate the honest response. I did look at Stormscloud comment and I loved the info she left for me. I'm here to share my experiences and to learn so thanks for everyone who understand this. I will continue to do my best for my fids, and believe me I know that their are a lot of dangers and drawbacks to breeding so I'll continue to try and improve anything I can around here! I'm open to hearing and trying any good ideas thanks again guys! Thanks to you too Peggy!:hug8:

Jhonny95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ishmael
Thanks for your response Amber enjoyed the read:) Like I'll said I'm going to do my best to be one of the reliable breeders that provides healthy beautiful birds to PERMANENT homes:D
I'll post updates often of my setup and my birds diet so you guys can offer feed back :)

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Thanks for your response Amber enjoyed the read:) Like I'll said I'm going to do my best to be one of the reliable breeders that provides healthy beautiful birds to PERMANENT homes:D
I'll post updates often of my setup and my birds diet so you guys can offer feed back :)
Thanks for taking the time to learn. One is starting to see more science incorporated into what we do for birds. What an exciting time for learning.

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Do you clip your birds? Neelix came to me clipped and I was really sad about it. The lady did give her babies lots of experiences though - met lots of people so they were very friendly even when I only just met them. When we had cockatiel babies we'd let them fly around and usually didn't clip them before they left. It's funny - their first flight is usually so short and they act so surprised lol! Fledging is such an important part of their physical and mental wellbeing. I think it would also be cool to harness train them and give adopters fact sheets on basic care and the dangers of relying on clipping to keep them from flying away, as we all know clipped birds can fly away too.

Jhonny95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ishmael
I know how to correctly clip my birds wings. But the birds I keep are really the type to be kept in nice aviaries to appreciate their beauty in flight:) When I hand rear birds usually only Bourkes, I tell my clients to take them to Pet-co or Pet Stores to clip their birds just so they don't harm their little ones trying to clip them themselves. Or they can bring them to me and I'd clip them for them. But I do wait until they molt at least once before attempting to clip wings.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
WOW-Is there a full moon over the Avenue tonight:eek: Come on People-Lets TRY harder to be civil and even NICE(what a concept) to each other! We can ALL have opinions But PLEASE lets NOT be mean to others that are NOT of the same opinion! AGAIN I SAY-IF You have nothing NICE to SAY-STAY OFF the Thread!

Phases of the Moon Calendar 2012 - month by month Although the moon could be board specific! whew!

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
I support good breeders like yourself Ishmael. Who put time, thought and love in to breeding. There are two types of breeders in this world, that goes for ALL animals, great and small.

I have bred in the past, Cockatiels, IRN and Alexandrines. I don't wish to go in to further details for worry of being bashed by other members.

We can only go on what you post but by your others posts I have seen, you take pride in your Grasskeets. I would love to see your aviary set ups :)

Jhonny95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ishmael
I support good breeders like yourself Ishmael. Who put time, thought and love in to breeding. There are two types of breeders in this world, that goes for ALL animals, great and small.

I have bred in the past, Cockatiels, IRN and Alexandrines. I don't wish to go in to further details for worry of being bashed by other members.

We can only go on what you post but by your others posts I have seen, you take pride in your Grasskeets. I would love to see your aviary set ups :)
Thank you Chels :) Hopefully we can all learn from threads like this so we won't have to worry about being bashed on by other members simply because we have different yet similar opinions. I'll try to post pictures as soon as I can. Within the week for sure :)(That's if school doesn't have something to say about it:hehe:)

Status
Not open for further replies.