• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeder forum

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Matto I completely agree that a no-judgment section is a great idea. We have a zillion judgy threads we could direct them to, lol.

Thing is, we can’t control others so no matter what we say people will do what they want to. Keeping them here, IMHO, would be for the best because we could educate them — perhaps slower than many members would like but still. If people stay and become part of the community they sway toward the group’s opinions. If we drive them off we aren’t being helpful.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Matto I completely agree that a no-judgment section is a great idea. We have a zillion judgy threads we could direct them to, lol.

Thing is, we can’t control others so no matter what we say people will do what they want to. Keeping them here, IMHO, would be for the best because we could educate them — perhaps slower than many members would like but still. If people stay and become part of the community they sway toward the group’s opinions. If we drive them off we aren’t being helpful.
The problem is when people come here for ¨advice¨ but won´t be educated.
Not everyone is willing to listen to those with the experience and knowledge.

But I do agree it is of no help to drive people away.

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
She got lucky. She'd have tried it anyway without your friend's help and killed it. It was irresponsible of her to try raising one so young without prior experience or starting with an older young one.

I don't understand why she wouldn't even consider practicing at the breeder's for a few weeks first; she sounded otherwise intelligent. :shrug2:

She did spend some time at the breeders and she told me the Breeder was comfortable with her raising her. And I agree it was insane to do but when I saw she was going to do it come h\\ or high water I begged Kashmir to help her. And I only know her through a friend.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
Also, as stated above~We're going to do what we're going to do. Once people get off the mindset to tirelessly try to stop everyone from breeding, the 'Breeding Forum' will be a much more helpful, positive place. Much better to educate on how it's done, then to concern yourself with Why.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
When people post things here that others take offense at ... I did once too and I was wrong especially because I posted back worse.... I only hope that they see the bigger picture. The posts here are tame compared to some of the Facebook groups I’ve seen. Swearing. Character assassination, and if they can’t bring you to heel so to speak you are banished. Maybe we can all grow a little thicker skin and maybe we can all try to word things a little different. Only not @JLcribber and some others who’s doses of reality can really get a well needed point across at the right time. This thread brought back the memory of that young girl who basically didn’t give a crap about all the hate posts thrown at her

Last edited:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Also, as stated above~We're going to do what we're going to do. Once people get off the mindset to tirelessly try to stop everyone from breeding, the 'Breeding Forum' will be a much more helpful, positive place. Much better to educate on how it's done, then to concern yourself with Why.

Yes, and that mindset gives the lie to being open to education. But since you're happily beating away at a dead horse...

Have you ordered a book yet?
Made any calls to find a breeder mentor in your area?
Watched handfeeding videos?

This is a forum. People are allowed to disagree with you. When multiple people with decades more experience than you have raise concerns, you should take a step back and process what you're hearing. And if your position can't withstand disagreement, it's not valid. I've lived with, worked with, tamed, and handfed various parrot species for 35 years and still learn new things all the time. I have a small, trusted group of parrot friends that are my sounding boards. It wouldn't hurt you to set that in place.

How about you breed in the future after you've got more experience and knowledge under your belt? Say a year or two? Just because you want to do it doesn't mean it has to be right now.

I go back and forth between wanting to Ignore you and wanting to educate you. It's hard to want to help or take you seriously when your main response is basically "I can do what I want." When you act like that, a petulant child, you sound like the girl in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory who wanted the golden goose.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
@aooratrix Obviously, many people on this particular thread share my sentiments. So, your criticism of me is invalid. As for waiting to breed, I just may wait 6 more months.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Have you ordered a book yet?
Made any calls to find a breeder mentor in your area?
Watched handfeeding videos?
@aooratrix Obviously, many people on this particular thread share my sentiments. So, your criticism of me is invalid. As for waiting to breed, I just may wait 6 more months.
You didn´t answer the questions.
Nor mine regarding the shelter.
Funny you never said in your original post that your hen that you want to desperately mate, has only lived with you for 2 weeks and 2 days. Clearly you knew what the response would be to that.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There is absolutely no getting through to her. A fool is a fool is a fool. She's getting exactly what she wants, which is attention.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Your holier then now attitude suxs. Everybody here has tried to put up with you and your 'tude. There are lot of other message boards/ forums that put up with this guff, BUT AIN'T HAPPENING HERE!!!!!! We are dedicated loving bird owners and you are a pouting, arrogant, self centered, temper tantrum throwing, attention seeking, piece of ----. GIVE IT UP, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GET YOUR OWN WAY.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
@Zara I'm going to the library to get a book sometime next week. The nestbox is made.
I don't see reason to go to a shelter when I have 2 lovely Tiels @ Home.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
You all have opinions, and you know what those are like.. everyone's got one. I'm under no obligation to do what people here tell me to.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Zara I'm going to the library to get a book sometime next week. The nestbox is made.
I don't see reason to go to a shelter when I have 2 lovely Tiels @ Home.
Why make the nest box now if you are only planning to breed them in 6 months? You have probably already put it in her cage. I do hope not.

The reason to go to the shelter is to learn. Not to get more birds. To listen to people who know a lot more about birds. I explained all this last time.
You owe it to your birds to educate yourself because you hold their lives in your hands. And I sure wouldn´t want to be your birds right now!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Quit feeding the troll people. They should be getting their bad advice from the face mob.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
@Zara There are actually zero bird rescues in my area. Plus, anti breeding zealots make me want some alcohol. & That goes for anti breeding zealots of ANY ANIMAL

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Zara There are actually zero bird rescues in my area. Plus, anti breeding zealots make me want some alcohol.

Birds and Beaks Rescue and Rehab
3.6 (7) · Pet adoption service
Battle Creek, MI, United States
+1 517-898-1577
Open ⋅ Closes 10PM

Wild Wings Bird Rehabilitation
4.7 (54) · Wildlife rescue service
Hazel Park, MI, United States
+1 248-701-2523
Closed ⋅ Opens 8PM

Bird Center-Washtenaw County
4.6 (16) · Wildlife rescue service
Ann Arbor, MI, United States
+1 734-761-9640
Open ⋅ Closes 9PM

Wildlife Rehab Center
4.9 (52) · Wildlife rescue service
Grand Rapids, MI, United States
+1 616-361-6109
Closed ⋅ Opens 8AM Fri

Feathered Friends of Michigan
3.0 (4) · Pet adoption service
Ann Arbor, MI, United States
+1 734-355-0468
Open 24 hours

Wildlife Recovery Association
3.9 (14) · Wildlife rescue service
Shepherd, MI, United States
+1 989-772-1538

Lowell Farm & Wildlife Center
5.0 (27) · Wildlife rescue service
Lowell, MI, United States
+1 616-885-4223
Closes soon ⋅ 8PM

Ark Association To Rescue Kritters
5.0 (16) · Wildlife rescue service
St Helen, MI, United States
+1 989-389-3305

Wildside Rehabilitation & Education Center
4.9 (34) · Wildlife rescue service
Eaton Rapids, MI, United States
+1 517-663-6153
Closes soon ⋅ 8PM

Michigan Audubon Otis Sanctuary
4.0 (2) · Non-Profit Organization
Hastings, MI, United States
+1 517-580-7364

Bairds Nest Parrot and Exotics Rescue
4.6 (9) · Animal rescue service
Minden City, MI, United States
+1 810-620-3786
Closed ⋅ Opens 9AM Fri

Capital City Bird Sanctuary
4.1 (8) · Nature Preserve
Lansing, MI, United States
+1 517-641-4277

Kellogg Bird Sanctuary
4.7 (245) · Bird Watching Area
Augusta, MI, United States
+1 269-671-2510
Closed ⋅ Opens 9AM Fri

Michigan Audubon
5.0 (2) · Environmental organization
Okemos, MI, United States
+1 517-580-7364
Closed ⋅ Opens 9AM Fri

Michigan Duck Rescue and Sanctuary
5.0 (5) · Charity
Plymouth, MI, United States
+1 248-446-2021

Lake Bluff Bird Sanctuary
4.6 (76) · Wildlife Refuge
Manistee, MI, United States
+1 517-580-7364
Open 24 hours

To name a few....

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
Battle Creek is a three hour drive. The others are further accept for maybe Ann Arbor. I'm not in the mood to drive 90 minutes to hear anti breeding zealots lectures.