• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breakthrough but still scared of hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindsey88

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
lindsey
Any tips? Link (gcc) is still scared of hands. He runs from them but will sit on my shoulder/chest and burrow into my hair or collar. He will not let me get him out of the cage, he runs from my hands. The only way to get him to come to me is to have his buddy Bowser step up, i'll go sit down with him and eventually Link will fly over and land on me cause he misses his buddy. Also if he somehow flies off his cage and needs to be rescued he will hop right onto my shoulder and cuddle. He will sit on my shoulder and give kisses and preen my hair. If I pet him he will accept it but seems a little shy and flattens out and looks scared. If I rub him with my chin he seems happy. Link used to be a breeder bird so he wasn't hand raised or anything. I know these things take time but is there any way to get him used to my hands. I know he is capable of being sweet and I would love to be able handle him more. He is a good boy, he doesn't bite at all, ever! He is my only bird except for one of my bourkes that hasn't bitten me before.

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Patience. Don't give up. You're making progress!!! :dance4: It took me over 6 months with Calvin and I assume you saw what a mush he is.

lindsey88

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
lindsey
Thanks! I'm not going to give up even though there are times when have almost thought he would never trust me. Lately though he seems much less afraid of me.

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I know that feeling, Lindsey. He'll come around. It just takes time. You're doing great and he sure is spoiled and wants for nothing!!! :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.