• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Branch cleaning?

budgelove

Meeting neighbors
For natural wood branches, how do you guys clean it? All my budgies/parakeets are sick, and I was rethinking how I could change up my routine to possibly help them recover from their pseudomonas infection. I have a bunch of (bird safe) branches, and every evening I swap branches. If there's any droppings on the branches, I wash the dirty spots with soap, water, and a toothbrush reserved for branches. Then all used branches spend the following day in the sun.

I'm thinking of adding a step of spraying all branches with diluted white vinegar (3 ounces of 5% acidity white vinegar to 32 ounces water) before putting it in the sun for a day.

How do you guys clean your branches?

Ingenarel

Meeting neighbors
i usually clean the branches with a toothbrush, a piece of cloth, some water.

I don't use vinegar. it's good but i just don't use it.

If you have apple cider vinegar, you can use that. White vinger is better compared to most of the other vinegars. But, apple cider is the best. So, if you have a.c.v you might wanna use it.

quantity- i dunno. Check the internet.

RatKave

Strolling the yard
I soak and scrub the branch till clean, then bake at 350 F for 20 ish minutes.(Any plastic, instead of soaking and baking, I do mouthwash and water spay and then wash off well.)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
f10 is a veterinarian grade cleaner if you wanted to really help curb the pseudomonas contaminant.

f10sc-veterinary-disinfectant.png

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
F10 is okay, but I prefer non diluted hydrogen peroxide (H202) for branches that are natural and diluted bleach for non-porous cage surfaces and contact items. Spray the H202 on the surfaces liberally and allow to dry. You don’t need a rinse if you’ve given the H202 24 hours or longer to dry and neutralize, because it decomposes into water and oxygen. If you’re using diluted bleach, dilute to the concentration labeled on your container of Clorox or what you’re using. Spray heavily, let sit for 10 mins ensuring the surfaces remain wet with the bleach solution for that amount of time, and then rinse with water.

Pseudomonas have been showing up resistant lately (in humans, no idea about critters) so you really want to kill them off by thoroughly cleaning and sanitizing.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
That is a great tip! I actually never thought of using H202 for cleaning.

Those reading this thread may find this link handy, more cleaning tips :)