• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bourke eating

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
Hi I have had my bourke sweetpea a little over a week now and I can't get him to eat any greens the breeder said he fed him greens but no matter what I put in his cage he won't touch it any suggestions? thanks:angelic:

D

Deleted member 29421

How old is he? How was the breeder feeding their greens? Was it in a dish or on the floor of the cage? Sometimes the smallest change will throw them off especially if hes a baby just coming from a breeder. They only know one way at that point in their life and he learned by watching others. Now hes on his own having to figure it all out. Many youngsters dont know how to eat from an elevated dish. Maybe try dicing/chopping the greens up and just sprinkling the food he does like in with the greens so he has to dig around, it might encourage him to try it. Make him a salad. :)

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
How old is he? How was the breeder feeding their greens? Was it in a dish or on the floor of the cage? Sometimes the smallest change will throw them off especially if hes a baby just coming from a breeder. They only know one way at that point in their life and he learned by watching others. Now hes on his own having to figure it all out. Many youngsters dont know how to eat from an elevated dish. Maybe try dicing/chopping the greens up and just sprinkling the food he does like in with the greens so he has to dig around, it might encourage him to try it. Make him a salad. :)
he just turned 3 months I have put the greens every way I can think of maybe he's still settling in ?

D

Deleted member 29421

So is he eating from the floor of the cage? What else do you feed him?

Beaky5000

Moving in
Not sure if you're still having veggie issues, since Sweat Pea seemed to try some last month, but our Bourke absolutely LOVED green peas. It was the only vegetable we could ever get him to eat consistently, but his love for them was on par with his love for millet.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
actually he's eating good now and yes he loves peas guess he just needed to get comfortable with me