• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blue Fronted Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dana64

Walking the driveway
Hello everyone...

I'm new to AA... but am fairly well-known on other forums, so some of you may know of me from there.

Tonight, I am adding a 10 year old Blue Fronted Amazon, named Charlie, to our flock.

I know NOTHING about this species, and I need to get up-to-speed, FAST! I own Macaws and African Greys. I am adopting a Greenwing, arriving tonight as well, and the owners requested that I take the BFA as well, since the 2 have been together their whole lives.

Charlie, is a "special needs" BFA. He has recurring "cloacal papilloma"... a mass was removed in 2005. He is vetted regularly at an extremely reputable avian clinic in Toronto and I will continue his care there as well.

I will be quarantining the GW and the BFA for at least 60 days and will have them vetted again, of course. I "googled" this disease last night and it sounds a little scary. At the same time, the GW is healthy, has never had cloacal papilloma and has been housed next to the BFA for the whole of their lives.

The BFA has been in remission for a few years now.

Does anyone here have any experience with this disease? What am I in for?

Also, anyone want to give me a "crash course/update" on the Blue Fronted Amazons???

:hug8:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I have two BFA over 20 years old and both wild caught...
Boggie, the female, was 1 years old when we bought her at a pet store...she was my Christmas gift to Poppa and our first Large parrot...Knew NOTHING about them and didn't even buy a cage for her...She lived the first 5 years with us on a "tree" we put in our living room in the corner...She loves and still does Poppa!....
Rambo came to us about 13 years ago...he wasn't that tame and he/Boggie were in love at first site....been together ever since...
Attitudes are big with Amazons and these two have it...
You watch the body language and eyes....warning signs are all over the place with them...
TRUST and earning that is the biggest step with Amazons...
My Amazons eat anything and everything but pellets!
You really have to watch the amount of "fat" food with them....exercise is very important for them and mine LOVE TO CHEW!
Can't help you with that health issue...
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Understanding Your Pet Bird's Body Language. Birds Birds Birds
What's Wrong With Amazons - Amazons - Joannie Doss
Handling Your Amazon

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
They do have some papilloma birds at The Gabriel Foundation, but I only know they are kept in a separate room and you go thru a disinfecting foot bath. Maybe Gayla might find out more from them or you could call them.

As for BFAs - they love food, and love music. They have clear and reliable body language, but sometimes can be hormonal and you really have to watch especially the males.
The Links you received are very good ones.
Here's another one I love, in praise of Amazons:
Reference - Amazons

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Just watch the BFA's body language, learn what it means, and you'll find he tells you everything he's thinking through his eyes, feathers, and movements.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
i will second that advice, I am still learning our thirteen yr olds body language having had him from last July. They have very short fuses and go off on one for no apparent reason to me anyway. The mood can change at a drop of a hat, but we are coming to the conclusion that jay has been hormonal and is now settling down to the more normal moods thank goodness. Good luck with yours. No two birds are exactly the same althought the traits in each species are very well documented.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
How is Charlie and the Greenwing doing? Hope everyone is adjusting well.

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
Well that's quite an odd couple there but they sound like good buddys. I wish you the best with them. Zons are quite expressive with their body language as I'm sure you will start to see. The eye's pinning, tail flaring, head feathers ruffled are usually pretty indicative that they are not happy at the moment and that's when you want to let them calm down. They can become overloaded very quickly and get too excited.

I don't know anything about the illness that the BF has but it excellent that there is a very reputable avian vet following him. One that will probably and should welcome all of your questions and want to be very interactive with you so that you are both on the same page for the bird's treatment plan and how to care for his special needs. You sure sound like a wonderful person to take these 2 in and care for them. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.