• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blue Crowned Conure~Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
1. She is my first bird to like nutriberries, how many do you think she can eat a day?

2. When they poop, do they go up on their tippy toes? All of mine do the full squats. This little girl seems to squat a bit then goes up on her tippy toes mostly. Last week she had a sore on her vent so I am not sure if its attributed to that, or it is the way they go.

3. Her beak was perfect when she got her, not a flake on it. Now its all peeling. Do you think it is because she has wood perches now and rubs her beak on them? She used to have a plastic perch.

4. Do they like nuts? She hasn't eaten a nut since she came. Can they open their own easy open almonds?

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
1. She is my first bird to like nutriberries, how many do you think she can eat a day?

I know mine would eat the whole tub!! Usually mine get one in the morning and one when I get home.

2. When they poop, do they go up on their tippy toes? All of mine do the full squats. This little girl seems to squat a bit then goes up on her tippy toes mostly. Last week she had a sore on her vent so I am not sure if its attributed to that, or it is the way they go.

Mine don't tippy toe...they squat.....could be her sore vet...

3. Her beak was perfect when she got her, not a flake on it. Now its all peeling. Do you think it is because she has wood perches now and rubs her beak on them? She used to have a plastic perch.

Sounds like what might be happening...mine flake too sometimes...and they always rub and chew on wood...I mean a lot! B&C willl rub and whittle a manzanit perch down to a pin prick...and other designs...let me try to take a pic of their latest creation tomorrow....

4. Do they like nuts? She hasn't eaten a nut since she came. Can they open their own easy open almonds?
They are not huge nut eaters here...they can crack a smaller almond but they have to work at it a bit to get through,

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
My blue crown conure does not poop on his tippy toes. Might be related to the sore on her vent.

All my birds just love the nutriberries. This is how they mostly get their percent of seed in their diet. I mainly put them in their foraging toys so they at least have to work for them.

Larry likes his beak to be 'clean' so he is always wiping his beak on his perch after eating, and since he finally figured out how much fun it is to destroy wood, his beak has also gotten flakier. His beak still keeps a very sharp point on it, no matter how much he chews up wood, but it does flake.

Larry would live on peanuts and sunflower seeds, other than that he's not much of a nut eater.

Good luck with your Blue Crown. They are great birds.

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
BCC's can open almonds and such on their own, I wouldn't feed more than three nutiberries a day depending on which flavor you are serving. Some flavors have more fatty seeds than others. I personally measure out seed portions every morning. everyone gets a small scoop in their dish and that's it. when they're really good I give them each one nutriberry.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Change brings about stress. Its normal for a bird's mody to go through a molt or a messy flakey beak, after they come home. I know ALL of my birds do!:hug8:

lsware

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Linda
I have a 4 yr-old Blue Crown. I've had Ringo since he was 3. He's very verbal and responds with the right answers when you talk to him. He's very smart and funny. His favorite treats are Pine Nuts and Safflower Seeds. He gets a few each day, but is on a strictly pelleted diet, plus he eats birdie bread, and other healthy foods that we eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.