• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

blue and gold I NEED HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M.C Bird Rescue

Not now, but when you start to convert her diet to a healthy and safe diet, please cut out the peanuts and the sunflower seeds. There are many nuts and treats that do not have the negative effects that those two have.
ML

Agreed! I am a nutition FREAK! Dont forget also..these BGM need lots and lots of stimulating TOYS! Foraging is key, and anything mechanical!

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
I welcome your new addition to our family here.

Reading this thread makes me soo proud of this place.

You guys ROCK!!

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome, Mayson. Others here have had great suggestions. You might try eating her food with her and really acting happy about what you are eating (even if your not! LOL) and see if she mimics you. B&Gs need high fat diets so nuts are a good choice for a treat. Even drink water out of her bowl and show her it is OK to do, wash the bowl, refill and see if she will drink. Try not to looked stressed as she can feel your emotions. Keep checking here as there might be a member recommending just what you need. She will come around in her new home. :)

Last edited:
M

M.C Bird Rescue

Yes showing your new bird what you are eating does help...also..if you find he will not shred paper or chew on wood you may need to show him how to do that too..it happens. I have shredded lots of paper with my teeth..shhh don't tell normal non-bird people that!
Warm foods, you can also try offering bird bread if you bake it, Mashes, anything that YOU will eat also you could share..try and not allow salts/sugars/too much fat/oils....LOL. Sorry i know if you dont cook specifically for your bird.
You could try some whole grain cereal also..like rasin bran or a bran with no sugar. YOU have to eat it too..see if he will take it off the spoon.

Also remembering Mayson...I would not allow that bird on your shoulder until you 2 know each other better! This next couple of weeks you will be tested, and you wouldnt want to go missing an ear or eyeball would ya? You dont know him/her well enough, and trust me..it all changes so fast! Give him/her time to become aquainted with the newness....then the fun loving, hyper active, crazy running, I love those darn BGM's come out! I love them!

onthewingsofmacaws

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Patricia
Hows your new bird doing is he/she settleing in a bit. I hope she has started eating at least. I so eny youIwouldlove to have a B&G I am seriously cosidering one but I'm going to have to wait until at least spring time I just gota new GW 6weeks ago so I want to wait for him to be totally intregrated into my flock before I add another. The day after I got my GW I was offered a B&G and had to turn him down due to already adopting a new bird. I love the B&G and want one so badly. Please up date us on your new babys progress I'd really like to hear how he is doing. Poor baby must have been just so scared with not 1 familiar thing from his previous home. I hope he's doing better.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Sorry I am jumping in late here. Many people worry about their new bird and that they are not eating or drinking. My first question is always...are they pooping. New surroundings, not knowing who you are...well let me sneak and eat and drink so the fox does not catch me at the watering hole.

Nuts are a nice treat for a macaw...brazil nuts, walnuts, very healthy almonds and they really like pine nuts. Offer them in shell and some out of shell.

Many of us have birds that say "want some?" That is because we will offer them what we have...apple slice, blueberry, healthy nut. No, they don't always take it right away but continued offered gives them a choice and one day they may say yes.

You will hear a lot of people talk about comfort food. A mash, some use sweet potatoes. A warm food is comforting. I find many of mine like bok choy and I weave it in the bars of the cage for them to explore, rip apart or....EAT.

Make sure your bird has protection and a corner to sit back in to watch their new world...from a secure area.

Hope things are going well.

Peggy

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Can we get an update?:)

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Yes. Please? We like updates ALMOST as much as we like pics & videos!:hehe::D

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
please keep us posted!!!

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
Not now, but when you start to convert her diet to a healthy and safe diet, please cut out the peanuts and the sunflower seeds. There are many nuts and treats that do not have the negative effects that those two have.
ML
I agree with ML. Peanuts and sunflower seeds are banned here too. Nice Brazil nuts walnuts pecans almonds pine nuts. Peanuts come from the ground and harbor more fungi that can lead to Aspergillosis than most other items.

You may want to cover 2 sides of the cage so she has a safe corner to retreat to. Put on a radio with soft music or a tv with cartoons. Too quiet for birds can unnerve them

The oatmeal is always a good tempting transition food for any bird and they get hydration too. Just be sure to remove it before it spoils. Good luck and keep us updated

Status
Not open for further replies.