• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blow dryer recommendations?

Budgiepals

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Finn Wichert
Anyone know of any safe blow dryer options? I need a new one I know is safe. Of course i won’t use it on my birds but I don’t want anything with PTFE or what I have heard of as ion. Not sure what ion is but it seems to be dangerous! Thanks!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Anyone know of any safe blow dryer options? I need a new one I know is safe. Of course i won’t use it on my birds but I don’t want anything with PTFE or what I have heard of as ion. Not sure what ion is but it seems to be dangerous! Thanks!
I think what’s available will most likely depend on where you are in the world.
As long as your hair dryer is ptfe, pfoa free and doesn’t have ions or that function can be disabled you should be fine.
The easiest way (I’ve found) to find what you’re after and ensure it’s safe is to contact companies and specifically ask (best in written form- email) about certain models you’re interested in or ask them for a list of their products that don’t have the bird dangers.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
We just searched for a ceramic blow dryer. Same as when we buy space heaters. :)

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
The concern with ion-generating appliances is not the ions themselves (ions are just positive or negatively-charged particles and they are all around us) but the potential for ozone to be produced as a by-product. HERE is an interesting study looking at the ozone-creation potential of 17 different home appliances. The ionizing hair dryer in this study produced a negligible amount of ozone, vs. the air purifiers and a few other products, which produced significant amounts.