• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blood results

Julia101

Moving in
Hi everyone, this is my first post so my apologies if I’m doing anything wrong.
My concern is about the blood work that was done on my parrot. Some seem high and the odd one is low, is this something I should be concerned about? I had the CBC complete blood work done and CLIN CHEM, but I’m not sure what that is about including a regular exam. I’m really hoping someone on here can help me understand these results and if I should take him in for a second opinion. Thank you kindly Julia

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue :)

@Hankmacaw may be able to help

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Looks like his bile acids are a little high and uric acids a little low.

His CK is high but that is rather common from a bird being wrestled around during an exam. His RBC (hemaglobin) is a bit high and is possible it's from dehydration.

Here is the best thing I can do for you. Print this out and study it. https://nilesanimalhospital.com/files/2012/05/Understanding-Avian-Laboratory-Tests.pdf

Come back and ask additional questions if you have them.

Julia101

Moving in
Thank you so much, I have been doing so much research on it and was trying to get a second opinion but here in Canada we only have two Avian vets and one really isn’t one. Is this something I should be concerned about?

His CK is high but that is rather common from a bird being wrestled around during an exam. His RBC (hemaglobin) is a bit high and is possible it's from dehydration.

Here is the best thing I can do for you. Print this out and study it. https://nilesanimalhospital.com/files/2012/05/Understanding-Avian-Laboratory-Tests.pdf

Welcome to the Avenue :)

@Hankmacaw may be able to help

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Realize that none of us here on this forum are vets. I can't diagnose your bird. I recommend that you call your vet or look at the article I sent you.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Did you go to your vet with a particular complaint/issue or were these labs part of a wellness check-up?

Before looking for a second opinion, I recommend contacting your vet to ask questions about these results, including any questions you might have regarding the elevated labs. Based on his note, your vet isn't worried about the results, so he should be able to explain his thinking about the out of range values.

If he can't explain or you are not satisfied by his explanations, then I would recommend seeking out a second opinion from a different vet. If you can't locate one in your area, there are some services that will consult online.

I also recommend doing a little reading on your own, if you are comfortable do that, so you are able to better understand the vet's response and ask the right questions.

Julia101

Moving in
Thank you, I have done this already and was told that everything is ok. My concern was that the results were off. I am trying to have the vet return a message or a email but they seem busy before the holidays. With Covid I was unable to go in, I was only able to drop him off and pick him up. My original concern for taking him in was because of some brown marks on his feathers. Thank you for your help.
Realize that none of us here on this forum are vets. I can't diagnose your bird. I recommend that you call your vet or look at the article I sent you.

Julia101

Moving in
Thank you for the response.
Because of Covid I was unable to do a regular exam and had to wait. By the time he had molted I did notice some dark markings on his feathers that he’s never had before or have never had before on previous birds. They are not stress lines or from creams or kisses because he has them both on his chest and back. Unfortunately I made the mistake of having his wings trimmed in December 2020 because of a incident of him banging into a window. I’ve never trimmed any of my birds wings before and after seeing what it did to him will never do it again, this is just my personal feeling. It made him so depressed, less vocal and wasn’t himself at all. He’s never been the same ever since but he definitely seems much happier that his wings are fully grown back. I’m just at a lost because I provide him with a healthy diet and everything else. I have consulted my vet about the results and was told that everything was fine, but by his behaviour something still doesn’t feel right. Maybe I’m just being over paranoid, but I’d rather be safe. Im hoping to get him back in again once I hear back from them.
Thank you Julia QUOTE="Destiny, post: 3549323, member: 40310"]
Did you go to your vet with a particular complaint/issue or were these labs part of a wellness check-up?

Before looking for a second opinion, I recommend contacting your vet to ask questions about these results, including any questions you might have regarding the elevated labs. Based on his note, your vet isn't worried about the results, so he should be able to explain his thinking about the out of range values.

If he can't explain or you are not satisfied by his explanations, then I would recommend seeking out a second opinion from a different vet. If you can't locate one in your area, there are some services that will consult online.

I also recommend doing a little reading on your own, if you are comfortable do that, so you are able to better understand the vet's response and ask the right questions.
[/QUOTE]