• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blood in stool

Mikkel9H7

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Storm Lilleng
My meyer parrot got stuck to the vacuum cleaner by her chest and right after that she dropped a normal poop with drops of blood on the side? It seemed like too much of a coincidence for her to suddenly poop blood right after that accident. She is acting the same as usual, but the last 2 poops after the accident have had some small amount of blood in them. Could she have gotten some internal damage or strained herself from stress etc? I don't know what to do and the vet it's a Saturday. Could she heal on her own? The pictures are her second poop

Attachments

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
This is very concerning; yes, depending on what happened she could have a crush injury more serious or mild. If there is an emergency vet in your driving area, or you have your vets cell # I’d call. Lacking that I’d keep her QUIET in her cage for the weekend and at a comfortable temperature. (Quiet is most important thing.)
If you have ANY concerns on Monday I would call your vet and take her in.
I don’t know what could have happened but that does look like a bloody poop.
Give her her favorite foods and plenty of drink and quiet rest.

Mikkel9H7

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Storm Lilleng
This is very concerning; yes, depending on what happened she could have a crush injury more serious or mild. If there is an emergency vet in your driving area, or you have your vets cell # I’d call. Lacking that I’d keep her QUIET in her cage for the weekend and at a comfortable temperature. (Quiet is most important thing.)
If you have ANY concerns on Monday I would call your vet and take her in.
I don’t know what could have happened but that does look like a bloody poop.
Give her her favorite foods and plenty of drink and quiet rest.
Since the incident she has had multiple stools with less and less blood. Still acts the same. Now, her most recent stool had only a smidgen of black/red, so I would hope this is passing quietly, but will do as advised regardless and keep her comfortable.
Thank you so much for a response!

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
That’s good news!! I’m hoping she had some small injury that’s clotted and she’s passed most of the blood. But I would not let her be active this weekend, but keep her quiet and probably call your vet on Monday.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
That's scary. I'm glad each poop seems to be improving.

Any external wounds by vent? Any chance she was carrying an egg?

On advice, I'd be talking to my vet , I'd try a call in sometimes they have an answering service and will call you back .

Hopefully she keeps improving untill you can check with your vet. Definitely keep her calm and quiet

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
What has she been eating or chewing on that's red? If anything she'd be more likely to have damaged air sacs than intestines.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
What has she been eating or chewing on that's red? If anything she'd be more likely to have damaged air sacs than intestines.
I’d agree with that (air sac vs gut) but those droppings look red-brown, not cherry red like bird toy or food coloring.

Did the red “bloody” poops darken as they dried? If it browned like blood it’s likely blood. Food coloring doesn’t change color as it dries.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
It's definitely blood
See internal organs in second image , liver sits very high
How's the bird today?

Last edited:

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
It's definitely blood
See internal organs in second image , liver sits very high
How's the bird today?
Looking at that illustration showing the major parrot organs, what I’m noticing is how low, near the vent, and relatively exposed the parrot GI tract is. I’d forgotten that. It totally makes sense that being hit on the tummy would make the bird pass blood in the stool. Transit time is quick especially when a bird is stressed.
I hope she’s ok today.

Tony’s Mom

Meeting neighbors
AVAIAN VETERINARIAN RIGHT NOW. It’s the best advice I can give you. This forum cannot physically help your bird in any way. Your best bet is to consult a vet who has avian veterinarian as a specialty. Let’s hope all is well with you bird.