• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blood in Poop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Would could be the cause of a bird having blood in its feces(or more in its urates not exactly feces)?

The Laughing Parrot

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carol
A number of things can cause blood in the droppings. Bacterial infection is one. Metal toxicity. Something sharp passing through the digestive tract, etc. No use speculating. Blood dictates a visit to the vet ASAP.

Hve you fed anything red in color? For instance - Cactus Pear can turn dropping bright, blood red.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
A number of things can cause blood in the droppings. Bacterial infection is one. Metal toxicity. Something sharp passing through the digestive tract, etc. No use speculating. Blood dictates a visit to the vet ASAP.

Hve you fed anything red in color? For instance - Cactus Pear can turn dropping bright, blood red.
Yeah Bokka LOVES red bell pepper. And yesterday he had a feast of red bell, fresh winter squash (not cooked, fresh) and red palm oil. But this is the first time I ever saw a speck of red in his urates. His poop was whole and formed but red on the urates. Just a droplet, but it clearly looked like blood and I am sure it was. But he is acting normal, chewing up wood, screaming, being his usual self, EXCEPT he does NOT act like he wants to masturbate. Infact he hasnt really shown much interest in it for the last several days. And that is his only change in his behavior. He is typically all in my face every evening before bed, wooeing for me, but the past few days he has not shown a sign of this. Which is unusual.

I do want to say that he does have kidney problems and he did have metal toxicity in the past. Maybe one or the other is acting up? Maybe the metal toxicity came back - - another reason why I have been thinking about getting my boys into SS cages...

Its still early in the morning(5:44am), and I have several hours until my avian vet opens up, so Im going to make a call then. But just wondering what could cause this.

Last edited:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I would see if you see any more in the coming hours....could be he has "rubbed" himself "raw"????? Have you turned him over and checked his vent for a tear or sore?:hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I would see if you see any more in the coming hours....could be he has "rubbed" himself "raw"????? Have you turned him over and checked his vent for a tear or sore?:hug8:
You think that may have been it?:o: I never thought of this.. when he does get into it he does get into it... But I am kind of skeptical. This hasnt happened before. He "lets loose" daily, so I do not think he would of rubbed himself raw out of frustration and tension.

I did check his vent and pulled back ever so gently on his cloaca, and it is a bit red and puffy. I compare his vent to my other 'toos and its an obvious difference.

The bloody poop happened last night around bedtime, as of this morning I have not seen any blood.

Last edited:

Juhi882

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
:hug8: hoping and praying its nothing bad :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
:hug8: hoping and praying its nothing bad :)
Im thinking it has to do with his kidneys or possibly metal toxicity again.:( If its metal toxicity he can get better, but he does have kidney problems, so if its them, well...:(

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw I'm sorry. I would just take him to vet to make sure. Hope everything goes well :hug8:.

Status
Not open for further replies.